Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TeleVue 5" refractor Vs. Hubble Telescope

ChrisLX200

I found this image of the Bubble Nebula in the Hubble Archives so cropped my recent Bubble Neb image to match (roughly) so I could compare the two.

mmm OK, I lose LOL! Hardly surprising but all the major features are there. Incredible performance for such a small instrument, and under UK skies too.

Well I though it was interesting....

ngc7635HubbleBubble_zpsc9eeae83.jpg

ChrisH

I much prefer your colour choices!

And honestly... spikes....?

LOL, I know - and the nasty red halos round the stars? Should do better...  :)

ChrisH

PS., I should have said my image had to be scaled 500% to match...

Very true, but when I was processing this image I wondered if the details I was trying to tease out were real or artifacts, at my small image scale it's difficult to tell. Nice to see they are mostly genuine objects.

ChrisH

Hi Chris,

Considering that you have over 400 KM of the atmosphere( or even more )  to contend with, i really do not see a great deal of difference to be concerned with. The HST image looks sharper for sure but to  my eyes it does not have more detail than your capture.

Regards,

A.G

The comparison was a bit tongue-in-cheek of course :)    However, I'd processed my data using deconvolution routines so needed to know if I'd recovered real detail or generated rubbish from spurious noise. It's very easy to get deconvolution wrong, so finding a Hubble Space Telescope image answered that question.

ChrisH

I think we need to send a mission of 5 astronomers to your place and replace the kettle and coffee machine see if that makes a difference !

I would be knocking on the door of NASA asking where they spent all those dollars if that's the best they can do .

joking aside you have proved that the amateur astronomer can achieve real results while earthbound with the atmosphere and real world budgets , AWSOME .

nice image too!

Andy

I think that's a remarkable result. What s/w are you using to perform the deconvolution?

I use the one in StarTools, this was set @ 2.1 pxl radius and 12 iterations.

There is also the 'Flux' module in StarTools which offers a bit more control over the deconvolution process.

ChrisH

It is always a good idea to test your data against other data on the same target. From time to time you discover that you shouldn't have used the clone stamp after all!!!  :grin:

But, sadly, nobody on here can do the Hubble Deep Field. http://www.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nasa.gov%2Fimages%2Fcontent%2F690951main_hs-2009-31-a-xlarge_web.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nasa.gov%2Fmission_pages%2Fhubble%2Fscience%2Fxdf.html&h=1113&w=1280&tbnid=SUXcobX78-HS_M%3A&zoom=1&docid=5Aoxg6WFo67SoM&ei=cMXKU5jJMMe70QXMuoH4Cg&tbm=isch&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=440&page=1&start=0&ndsp=29&ved=0CCYQrQMwAA

The best we could hope for here would be about ten black pixels!! :grin:

Olly

There are times when I thiink ameteurs should be processing Hubble raw images. If we can get this much out of small scopes what could folk get out of big uns?!!

BTW Nice images

On Mars and Jupiter, I was pleasantly surprised by a comparison of my MAK150 

with (added stacked) Video images, with a C11 Edge HD plus "proper" planetary

camera. But Hey, a C11 would be my idea of a "Hubble" telescope. :p

I am coming to believe that, with "reasonable" optical capabilities, *seeing* has a lot

to do with it. Or my omni-preset THIN high cloud?  :angryfire: But nil desperandum, maybe...

Factoring in aperture, focal length, pixel size, I still think I can do even better.  :evil6:

Well, you gotta believe (or blame) something in this hobby ain'tcha? :angel12:

Archived