Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR Camera advice

holly1402

Can anyone help me I am looking at doing some astrophotography ,I know I need a dslr  camera but I am on a budget . I would prefer second-hand  as long as it is one you guys can recommend . I also would like some advice on lens`s . 

Looking forward  to a few replies

Mark

Sometimes they come up on here in the Classified section as well.

I will leave which are better to people who know more than I do, I bought mine with 2 kit lenses on sale when they were selling off the 1100 cheap.

Two things.

First is that while all modern DSLRs are very fine cameras, in the astronomical world, Canon products are far more prevalent than other brands. As a consequence, it's easier to get advice about their use and any problems / howto's you may have and also software that supports them is more common and better known.

The second point is to look for a recent model that supports the Liveview feature. There's a list of model numbers here:

http://www.photoplusmag.com/2012/06/20/which-canon-eos-cameras-have-live-view-and-how-to-set-it/#null

Something like the 1000d or 1100d would be an excellent choice to start with... Nothing wrong with the 350d per se, but you will suffer from heat noise caused by the amplifier being always on, which more modern models do not suffer from. Both the 1000 and 1100d have liveview and can be had for about £100...

Check out

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-canon-digital-slr-cameras/

I've no connection but have used them several times, and never had a problem with them.

As Pete said, the majority using dSLR's are going to be using Canon as there is far greater support in software for Astronomy, which means you can get much more specific advice regarding using them as an example.

I agree with John. It is better to avoid Digic 2 cameras. The first reason is that Canon has no drivers for these models that work on 64bits Windows. The second one is that these models have no LiveView which is a feature that saves a lot of time.

1000D or 1100D are very good options. You can invest a bit more then 550D is the one I recommend. It has the highest QE in the lower models range and one of the lowest noise levels :)

Here is a table with all the information that I have gathered in the net - http://www.ideiki.com/astro/EOS.aspx

Archived