Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Davey-T

Stellarium prob's

Just got new Win 8.1 laptop and downloaded latest everything and got a problem with Stellarium 0.12.4,  starts OK but as soon as I select a target the screen develops big coloured, flashing triangles, looks like a video problem.

Laptop has i5 processor and Intel HD Graphics and latest  Intel driver V 10.18.10.21.

Anyone had similar problems ?

Dave

I'd agree with the above point. If that doesn't help, stellarium also has a second executable which doesn't use modern OpenGL features, which it may be worth trying.

David

Please try use fallback mode of Stellarium.

Definitely downloaded 64bit version.

In the log it says "attempting to use an older config file" don't know what that means as it's a new install on a new machine.

Also says " cant find plugin with ID Renderer statistic"

And " initialising open GL2 renderer Intel HD graphics 4400 built successfully 

How do I do that ?

Dave

Just uninstalled and reinslalled Stellarium and I see it's installed in program files not X86 program files, is this correct ?

Still got same problem.

Dave

"Program Files" is for native 64-bit applications, "Program Files (x86)" for 32-bit ones. The latter is not present on a 32-bit system, where instead "Program Files" is used for 32-bit applications. In your case you have both, which tells us it is a 64-bit operating system, which in turn is capable of running both 32-bit and 64-bit Stellarium. You should, however, uninstall the 32-bit version you have and install the 64-bit version, thus utilizing the full potential of your system.

/per

"Program Files" is for native 64-bit applications, "Program Files (x86)" for 32-bit ones. The latter is not present on a 32-bit system, where instead "Program Files" is used for 32-bit applications. In your case you have both, which tells us it is a 64-bit operating system, which in turn is capable of running both 32-bit and 64-bit Stellarium. You should, however, uninstall the 32-bit version you have and install the 64-bit version, thus utilizing the full potential of your system.

/per

Have installed the 64bit version twice but the screen is still breaks up .

Dave

Sorry, poor reading skills on my part ;) Start it up without OpenGL and see if that helps, or did you already? Sunlight is strong here right now so I am actually having problems reading my laptop screen... 

Only a cheap HP laptop I bought as a stop gap, no dedicated graphics card, the Intel graphics shares some of the main system memory, doesn't appear to having any options to alter the graphics acceleration settings.

Dave

Tried fallback mode and still the same problem.

Dave

Picture of Stellarium screen showing what happens, it starts OK but as soon as I click on anything it cracks up.

Ignore the flashlight reflection as I took a pic using camera.

Dave

post-21198-0-75051000-1405695836_thumb.j

Try downloading one of the earlier releases, it's on the collaborate column,

it may be better and more stable for your P C.  http://www.stellarium.org/

Tried downloading 32bit version and still the same problem persisting.

Dave

Have now registered on the somewhat confusing Stellarium help forum, now just need to figure out how to find and send the log file :)

Dave

I gave up trying to run Stellarium on my lickle Asus Netbook thingy. Same issues as the OP :(

Might try the earlier version approach some time.

Delete the other versions and download the 0. 12.0 win64.exe from

here  http://sourceforge.net/projects/stellarium/files/Stellarium-win32/0.12.0/

it's an earlier version 

Been there done that, tried older 64bit and 32 bit versions all have the same problem, must be something about the Intel graphics adapter that doesn't agree with it.

I have two old XP Pro machines and it runs fine on them and a new Dell xpsz15 and it runs fine on that, just something about this machine, mind it is the only one running Win 8.1  :evil:

Dave

Have now registered on the somewhat confusing Stellarium help forum, now just need to figure out how to find and send the log file :)

Dave

Send 'alexwolf' a PM, post #4 above, I believe that he is one of the developers on the Stellarium team. (Alexander Wolf).

Just don't lambast him because in general we all use this free resource.

hth

Send 'alexwolf' a PM, post #4 above, I believe that he is one of the developers on the Stellarium team. (Alexander Wolf).

Just don't lambast him because in general we all use this free resource.

hth

Wasn't complaining about Stellarium, the problem is probably caused by the rubbish graphics on this laptop, seem to be quite a few video related threads on the Stellarium forum, must developers tearing their hair out.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

Done more messing about with Stellarium and the problem appears to be something to do with the grid lines, normally I have it set to start up with the equatorial grid lines on but if I switch them off it works OK.

Dave

Today version 0.13.0 has been released and it includes binary package with software rendering - it give working of Stellarium on old computers, but not very fast.

About log.txt location:

Start -> Programs -> Stellarium -> log.txt

or withing program: F1 -> Log

Today version 0.13.0 has been released and it includes binary package with software rendering - it give working of Stellarium on old computers, but not very fast.

About log.txt location:

Start -> Programs -> Stellarium -> log.txt

or withing program: F1 -> Log

This is a brand new Win 8.1 laptop, will give it a try, thanks.

Found log file :)

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

This is a brand new Win 8.1 laptop, will give it a try, thanks.

Dave

I believe that you need drivers for graphics card from manufacturer. ;)

I believe that you need drivers for graphics card from manufacturer. ;)

Have downloaded latest graphics driver, hasn't got a dedicated graphics card, just Intel on board graphics sharing system memory

Dave

Edited by Davey-T