Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sandancer10

False start on my Observatory

I finally made the decision that humping my kit in and out doors was too much, so I contacted a local hut maker and thought I had it sussed for a new obsy.

I told him I needed a 5 x 5 x 5.6in high hut to put my scope in permanently and he came up with a good floor plan, but he said he needed to come out to check the location and make sure it would fit. I thought great, this is it sorted at last. He came out and said the location was no good being just slightly over the height of my kitchen window as the lifting mechanism would need to go on the wall and there is nowhere else suitable in the garden  :mad:.

So, I thought right I could put a hatch in my garage roof and poke the scope through there, but I'm still waiting to find out if 1) it can be done and 2) if it can be guaranteed to be watertight afterwards, and of course the cost.

Meanwhile it's back to carrying my kit in and out of the house. Maybe I should move house? :rolleyes:  

You can easily make the hatch water proof. All it is is a sky-lite that opens all the way and without the glass. Any construction guy worth their salt would know how to make it water tight. There are also raisable piers that you can buy that will raise and lower your mount through this hatch so you dont have to have it vary large. There are several examples on the CloudyNights forum that if you thumb through you should be able to find.

• Like 1