Narrowband

Perseid meteor shower

As a total novice hoping to buy my first motorised mount later this year I thought I might try some meteor photography (Perseid) in August (in-spite of the possibility of a bright waning gibbous moon) using my existing DSLR and wide angle lens.   August Sky at Night Magazine outlines a process using 10sec exposures with a remote control using continuous shutter mode.  Whilst I can test most of  this process out beforehand and am aware of the complications of moonlight, I have no idea about the length of time I should leave the camera to get on with it - at the risk of showing my ignorance is there such a thing as  a reasonable minimum?  Would appreciate some help.

Thanks

Annie

Hi Annie, the Perseids had a peak Zenithal Hourly Rate (ZHR) of 173 in 2009 which dropped to 58 in 2011. Last year it was back up to 109. So if you had left your camera running for an hour say you should expect to have captured 109 meteors last year during the peak.

Leaving your camera out for that long you should take care against dew forming on the lens. Use of a hood - either bought or home made will help as would a dew heater tape. Don't forget to get yourself a comfy chair and a warm blanket and sit back and enjoy natures fireworks whilst your camera does all the work for you!

Good luck :)

Last year I used a 10mm wide angle lens and 30sec exposures @ f/4 on continuous shutter. I took over 400 exposures over about 4 hours and had only 4 with meteors on them. Of those only 2 were any good. Over the same period, I saw well over 100 with just my eyes, easily the best meteor shower I have viewed. It just seemed they were camera shy and either weren't in shot or came over in the brief pause between exposures. 

Good luck :)

Last year I used a 10mm wide angle lens and 30sec exposures @ f/4 on continuous shutter. I took over 400 exposures over about 4 hours and had only 4 with meteors on them. Of those only 2 were any good. Over the same period, I saw well over 100 with just my eyes, easily the best meteor shower I have viewed. It just seemed they were camera shy and either weren't in shot or came over in the brief pause between exposures. 

Sounds like my attempts with lightening storm a few months back. Zero :(. What iso were you using Rik (just to test your memory ;) )?

Sounds like my attempts with lightening storm a few months back. Zero :(. What iso were you using Rik (just to test your memory ;) )?

1600 I think Scott. Either that or 800, but I normally shoot at 1600 with the Canon 1000D.

med_gallery_5915_1958_153207.jpg

Thanks Guys - very helpful.  Hope to at least something by eye from a comfy seat and a down jacket!  

Thanks again

Annie

Yes Annie, don't under-estimate the need to wrap up warm. It can get surprisingly cold when you're not moving about :)

Unfortunately this year the Moon will shine during the perseids time.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Turn your back to the moon or observe from behind a building etc where direct moonlight doesnt shine.

Not idea solution but about the only thing.

Archived