Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

July's S@N TV program

reddoss

I missed Sunday's broadcast on BBC4 due to the drinking of beer during the World Cup final  :smiley:  I caught up with it on the BBC i-Player this morning.

It was really  nice to see Lucy Green again, bring her back permanently I say! 

It was really  nice to see Lucy Green again, bring her back permanently I say! 

Yes nice to see Lucie.

Otherwise it was pretty dire, brief chat, plinky music, another brief chat, more plinky music and so on. Do we really need to be told what's coming up in the programme?

Bring Lucie back and The Sky at Night I say........

The 'coming up' bits are probably where foreign broadcasters can drop in commercial brakes.... either that or the producers are just sheepishly following the current vogue to try and retain channel hoppers. It happens in many other programmes. I find it condescending.

Im pleased that the bbc has continued the show but I feel in their attempts to modernise the show following the death of Patrick has lead to it becoming too basic in its approach.

I used to enjiy the technical details the show used to cover in its in depth discussions with its guests , often devoting a whole show to a single specific field of astronomy. Now however the show is broken into small snippets , trying to cover a wide range of things meaning the coverage ends up being too shallow.

the bbc have two great brands in stargazing live and S@N so I would love to see them develop the stargazing brand as a more generalist astronomy show, where they can keep things at a more basic but educational level ... and with presenters like prof cox I think he is in his element on this typeof show.

S@N could then continue to be a more technical show and use presenters like maggie and chris who I feel would be better suited to fronting up this sort of show, thier technical knowledge would then be better utilised.

cheers

Sky at night most definitely does not need a new theme tune. What it does need is to get away from the habit of constantly swapping between presenters. There's nothing wrong with Maggie presenting one item and then Chris presenting the next and so on but what is not needed is that awful habit of Maggie presenting one sentence and then Chris presenting the next.

the S@N has fallen foul of the continuing need to dumb down its educational programming.

I found that watching sky at night, the original episodes where it presented scientific information as it was with out the need to patronise,  left me with a need to go and learn more about a subject, to fill the gaps that I didnt understand, or to learn the science behind it.

This months episode did not inspire me to do anything apart from fast forward to pete lawrences bit then switch it off. A first in my many years of watching this program, and somewhat depressing also. 

come on MR BBC present science without steralising the detail. We can be trusted with the information, it wont scare us off!!

the S@N has fallen foul of the continuing need to dumb down its educational programming.

I found that watching sky at night, the original episodes where it presented scientific information as it was with out the need to patronise,  left me with a need to go and learn more about a subject, to fill the gaps that I didnt understand, or to learn the science behind it.

This months episode did not inspire me to do anything apart from fast forward to pete lawrences bit then switch it off. A first in my many years of watching this program, and somewhat depressing also. 

Yes I feel the same way, I'm fast approaching a time when I will not bother with it any more.

It's so sad, after all these years. I'm certain Patrick would be furious with what has been done to the programme.

I've said it before, but after we lost Patrick and his team continued it the programme was fine and didn't need any changes to presenters, content or format. Yes, they brought Lucie in as part of the team but otherwise it was business as usual at Sky at Night and Lucie was a very good choice for the job. She is comfortable in front of the camera, easy to watch and can speak in coherent sentences.

Now we have "coming up on the programme", superficial little soundbite features interpersed with plinky music and the dreadful ping pong presenting between Chris and MAP (and I have expressed my opinion of the latter as a presenter, not, I emphasise as a person or as a scientist)

It is also a nonsense to say that we wanted the programme to continue and therefore it should now be beyond criticism.

I think this last episode was OK, the gang seems to be getting used to the new format. I still think it would be better at 40 min or ideally an hour long, it would allow longer segments as well as covering more topics.   

On the music topic, could they not do as Dr Who have done over the years, rearrange the music , keep the basic tune but make it more modern and suitable for the 21st century.

On the music topic, could they not do as Dr Who have done over the years, rearrange the music , keep the basic tune but make it more modern and suitable for the 21st century.

To rearrange Sibelius would be sacrilege!!!!!

On the music topic, could they not do as Dr Who have done over the years, rearrange the music ..............

I think NOT doing it is a very good suggestion! :eek:

Give them all excessive makeup, some spray tan and a few tat's and we'd really be (insert the current street term here) :mad:

Why not have the viewers vote presenters off the programme too  ..........now there is an idea.

Archived