Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomy Prints?

AndyWB

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm struggling to find anything recent in search - but does anyone know of anywhere to get a nice print of something astronomical?

I'm decorating, and I was thinking that something nice on canvas would be good, and quite 'me'. 

The complicating factor - I don't do Astrophotography, so it isn't "printing one of my own" (though I do need to find somewhere that will do that, too).

There's places like photobox that do canvas' at a reasonable price. I'm sure if you asked nicely, someone would "donate" one of their images. You can have one of mine although I'd bet you'd rather not :D:embarassed:

Wow. That's a lovely one of the Rho Ophiuchi Nebula. And the one of Orion's Belt to the Orion Nebula is also great. Wow. Pricey, but very tempting.

I must confess to knowing Tom well and to collaborating with him on some captures. He has done endless hours of work on turning these into first rate prints. The transition from screen to print is incredibly difficult and the experiments are expensive. 

Olly

I must confess to knowing Tom well and to collaborating with him on some captures. He has done endless hours of work on turning these into first rate prints. The transition from screen to print is incredibly difficult and the experiments are expensive. 

Olly

I'd figured that from his site - he talks about being at Les Granges. I saw that one of Rho Ophiuchi at Greenwich early in the year, I think, and I would've picked it for the Deep Space winner. I think I'll find out about framing costs.

NASA is a good idea, and I did come across "HubbleSite" which lets you download some of them - but to be honest, they're not as breathtaking. I think my favourite images are often wide field, rather than just a single object, quite often out of context.

The last pictures i had framed in the local gallery were £40 each, that was back in 2001, my last set of frames i made from pieces of Oak, the 2mm glass i got change from a fiver, the backing material came the "The Range " store it wasn't expensive, you can source a frame in charity shops/auction rooms throw away the picture that comes with it and mount your own....

Archived