SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Daystar Quark Prominence

Pig

Has anyone tried or do you know of anyone that has tried the prominence model ?

I only want to use the Quark for visual use and I was wondering if the built in 4.2 x Barlow will over magnify the view considering my lowest power eyepiece is 25mm and my scopes focal length is 500mm ?

I am waiting to press the purchase button :grin:

Hi Shaun,

Haven't tried the prominence model, but am certain your 25mm EP with 500mm FL scope (this is the Equinox, right?!) will be absolutely fine. I get awesome prominence detail with a similar spec setup and the chromosphere version, so I imagine the prominence version will be even brighter again.

When I combine the Quark with an 0.5x reducer, I get a full disk view with heaps of room to spare (two disks could comfortably sit side by side) and a widened bandpass, which shows an extremely bright disk with bright prominences completely surrounding it.

I'm tempted by the prominence version also, by the way.

Don't wait any longer. Hit the purchase button... I reckon you'll love it!! :)

(I'd probably shoot for the chromosphere version first though... You already have a single stacked scope with reasonably nice aperture for nice views of proms).

Aaron I think its is going to have to be a toss up betwixt the two :laugh: I keep doing the usual change of mind thing as all the options seem to have their own positives.

I cant think of any negatives :smiley: apart from having to wait for them to turn up.

I was speaking with Sean from Daystar over the email last week and he mentioned it's only a couple of week wait for the prominence version. Not sure if they're turning the chromosphere versions around this quickly now as well?!

Good luck with deciding between the two. Out of curiosity, which features/details do you enjoy viewing most with your current scope and which do you feel yourself wanting to see better?

Aaron,

That's useful to know about the availability of the prominence model, thanks.

I like looking at all the sun has to offer but I think watching a prominence develop is pretty cool but it is a difficult one to answer because I like viewing the sunspots and surface detail too.

I think the Lunt does a pretty good job on all fronts by what I can tell and what I have been told. However, I haven't personally compared it to another solar scope so its a little hard to know how good it is. 

My main reason for wanting to buy a Quark is being able to move up to an 80mm aperture for a fraction of the cost of a new Lunt 80mm and at the same time keeping the benefits of grab and go.

With any luck, I should have a Prominence version on the way next week, Shaun (plus another Chromosphere version with an apparently straight etalon... The current Quark will be sold if the new one performs better than the warped one) so will let you know how it performs if you can hold out another week or so.

+1 for the 0.5 reducer, I have used it visually and for imaging. So far I prefer visual without the reducer overall as I am loving the closer up views but that's just me. The Quark, wow, my single most exciting best value purchase :-o

I get full disc with my 360mm focal length scope and 32mm Tele Vue Plossl inc some space for proms without using the reducer.

You should get a cracking view of spicules in the 80mm I would think, Shaun, they are really cool in my 85mm :)

+1 for the 0.5 reducer, I have used it visually and for imaging. So far I prefer visual without the reducer overall as I am loving the closer up views but that's just me. The Quark, wow, my single most exciting best value purchase :-o

I get full disc with my 360mm focal length scope and 32mm Tele Vue Plossl inc some space for proms without using the reducer.

You should get a cracking view of spicules in the 80mm I would think, Shaun, they are really cool in my 85mm :)

Hi Luke,

Are you able to get a full disk with room to view prominences in your 76? (If I'm right in remembering you do have a 76?!)

I'm wondering whether the a Quark can replace the PST in this role, aswell as giving higher power views in the 85

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to chime in when the question wasn't directed at me, Stu, but yes the 76 provides full disk views. They're tightish without the focal reducer, so won't show you proms on all edges with room to spare, but with a reducer they're very "prominent" and are swimming in ample space.

The view through the Quark with a 0.5 focal reducer and 25mm or 32mm Plossl reminds me a lot of the view through the PST with a 12mm to 15mm Plossl, except with heaps more detail.

Thanks Aaron, no problem of course :-)

That sounds very promising then. Which focal reducer do you use? I have a 2" Antares I think, might do the job.

Without wishing to derail the thread further, did you conclude that the 32mm Plossl was better than the 24mm Pan?

I sold my 32 but still have a 25 which might be ok?

I just have a generic 1.25" reducer that cost me about $30 or something. I screw it directly into the bottom of the Quark. I enquired with Sean at Daystar as to whether this was safe, as it is effectively taking the brunt of the beam before any filtration, and he stated it is fine. The only thing it will do that you may not want, he said, is widen the bandpass. I find the image to be great with it. Like Luke, I'm a big fan of the magnified detail without is as well though.

As for the eyepieces, it's a very close call between the two, to be honest. Both are great. I tend to use the Plossl more though, for some reason?! Strange, because I find the eye relief of the Pan to be more comfortable. I wouldn't race out and buy the 32mm Plossl without trying your Pan beforehand if you do purchase a Quark though, Stu. Actually, to be completely frank, I think you'll find the 25mm absolutely fine. I've used my Vixen LV 25mm and the field of view is practically the same as the 32mm Plossl. Great view through it as well. I'm tossing up buying the 25mm Televue to see how it compares with the Vixen and just to have it in the kit.

I'll most likely be selling a Chromosphere Quark very shortly (no need for two of the things), so I reckon someone will find themselves getting a pretty good deal on it.

Stu, Sarah and I have the Tele Vue 60 but not the 76. I wouldn't mind a 102 :-o

The 60 and Quark could replace my SolarMax 60 though I will probably hang onto it for those tiny late seen gaps or if I am in a rush.

I use the Revelation 0.5 reducer on the end of the camera nosepiece or eyepiece. The downside to the TV32 and 40 Plossls is the massive eye relief though my 32mm is not too bad with a single TV eyeguard extender. My 25mm Plossl is lovely as is, one of my fave EPs as we use a pair in binos, they rock!

New chromosphere Quark arrived this afternoon and I'm very VERY pleased to announce that the etalon looks great... 100% improvement on the other one I have. Interestingly, the etalon looks very red compared to the original, which has more of a green colouring to it. Initial tests (through a window, as the sun is on the wrong side of my apartment) show an extremely even brightness across the field and no signs of the "shadow effect" that I see in the other Quark. Happy with it at the moment and look forward to giving it a proper test outside.

Still waiting on the prominence version to arrive, which is curious as they were both shipped at the exact same time.

Prominence Quark has arrived... Comparison with Chromosphere version coming up ASAP!

Good news is that the filter on this one also looks good, so am hoping it performs as well as the new Chromosphere model I received did yesterday, which was outstanding. No shadowing effect, no obvious sweet spot, just a whole lotta sweet sweet solar viewing :)

Have mentioned in another thread that I tried it with BinoVue and 24 Pans yesterday... Wow! I could almost reach out and grab the filament on the eastern limb!!

Aaron, Luke and of course Shaun, I thought I'd have a look at what was going on Lunar observing wise as it's fascinating! I have to say this is one of the most polite threads I ever read, lovely use of first names :grin:  Shaun what can I say you've come along way since our very first encounter, Trespassing fire extinguishing (if I remember rightly!) :p  Any way sorry this has nothing to do with your thread! Just had to say ;)

LoL Jessica ...I had forgotten all about bonfire-gate  :police:  I am not that sure if water can trespass and in my defence them there flames were licking way too close to my scope and I had to act fast  :laugh: all is forgiven and I get on great with the neighbours now 

I agree it has been a very polite thread and your compliments are more than welcome

LoL Jessica ...I had forgotten all about bonfire-gate :police: I am not that sure if water can trespass and in my defence them there flames were licking way too close to my scope and I had to act fast :laugh: all is forgiven and I get on great with the neighbours now

I agree it has been a very polite thread and your compliments are more than welcome

Well you gotta do what you gotta do ;) good times! Haha!

Thanks Jessica. Reading back over this thread, we do sound pretty polite, don't we :)

Shaun, I've had a chance to try the prominence Quark out briefly on a couple of occasions. Very impressive. The view, as expected, is quite a lot brighter than in the chromosphere version, which definitely allows it to show more prominence activity. Not that there has been a heap going on during the couple of times I've tried. On a semi-direct side by side comparison (I really need a second battery pack to do a direct one), extremely faint proms could be seen though this which were nowhere to be found in the other. A good example of this was quite a massive, but extremely faint, prom on the northern limb yesterday morning. Through the prominence Quark, I could distinctly make out its size and details of its shape, whereas, through the chromosphere Quark I could not find even a hint of it. I'm really lookng forward to spending more time with this when there is some more exciting prom activity on display.

Surface details can be seen, but with far less contrast than the chromosphere Quark. Where it clearly shines, though, aside from better displaying it's obvious namesake, is in the detail of spicules around the entire limb. They're amazing. I really must get a second battery so I can set them up side by side. I can see myself having the chromosphere Quark set up in the TV76 (or TV102 if this temptation keeps up) and the prominence Quark set up beside it in the Orion EON 110mm APO (or, better yet, in my NP127 with a front mounted ERF... Something else that is tempting me) for up-close and personal views of swirling prominence tendrils! Not exactly grab and go, but would make for a pretty nice session, nonetheless :)

Aaron,

Great little review, I think that sums it up for me and I will go for the prominence version of the Quark.

My Lunt 60mm already delivers excellent surface detail and I feel the extra aperture in my Equinox combined with the Quark will enable better even better detail on the proms than I currently see.

It all sounds quite mouth watering because my dual set up will allow me to have the usual excellent view of Ha through the Lunt and also a zoomed in prominence option via the Equinox :laugh: I also have the Herschel wedge so I should be well covered for most solar viewing conditions

I am still a little concerned that the 4 x Barlow might result in excessive magnification.

Archived