Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

I'm so glad to finally find someone else perfectly describing what me and my family saw.

We saw 15 of these objects between 2014 and 2016.  They came 2 by 2 from horizon to horizon from the south heading north.  We would watch a pair fly by.  A few minutes after they vanished 2 more would come.  They all had roughly the same flight pattern.  The last group was 3.  This was in upstate New York.

The same summer I saw 2 more in Pennsylvania on different evenings.  One was moving West to east and the other east to west.

It has always been in the back of my mind as to what these things were.  How can they move so fast and make no noise?  

Have you figured out what they are?

Lets assume that you might be seeing satellites.

If you seen them again please post your location, nearest city or town will do.
Also note the time, this must be near exact as possible, not approximately.

Direction of travel will help plus if it suddenly fades out before it goes under the horizon.

On 01/08/2019 at 10:34, wxsatuser said:

Lets assume that you might be seeing satellites.

If you seen them again please post your location, nearest city or town will do.
Also note the time, this must be near exact as possible, not approximately.

Direction of travel will help plus if it suddenly fades out before it goes under the horizon.

Hi, thanks for the replies and interest.

I'm based in South East England by Tonbridge in Kent. The ISS passed approximately 10 / 15 minutes after the object we saw.

I also saw 3 fainter satellites that were travelling from a southerly to a northerly direction, these came after the ISS, there were a number of others on a similar path that followed after these and within the same hour.

Could the object be powered intermittently so maintaining a high speed at a lower orbit?

Apologies for the sketchy details.

LUDD,

The satellite / object  appeared to be a bright reflective light, but not blue / bluish, I believe it was at a lower orbit than the ISS.

My wife and I both thought we saw the object change direction, I assume this was an optical illusion.  

Regards

13 hours ago, Genki said:

Hi, thanks for the replies and interest.

I'm based in South East England by Tonbridge in Kent. The ISS passed approximately 10 / 15 minutes after the object we saw.

I also saw 3 fainter satellites that were travelling from a southerly to a northerly direction, these came after the ISS, there were a number of others on a similar path that followed after these and within the same hour.

Could the object be powered intermittently so maintaining a high speed at a lower orbit?

Apologies for the sketchy details.

Your not to far from me in West Sussex.

Orbital mechanics don't allow for the speeding up unless we talk about Molniya orbits.

Molniya satellites have a maximum speed of 10km/sec at closest approach but this approach is normally
south of the equator. The ISS is moving at just under 8km/sec and if a satellite reaches just over 11km/sec it
will fly off into space.

On 28/07/2019 at 12:22, SkyJamie said:

It sounds like i saw the same object as Genki and Ludd on Monday at around 10:35pm, very similar in appearance to the ISS but much faster.

It passed by Altair, because of its speed i thought maybe it was a plane but there was no sound, no flashing lights, it just looked like a satellite but travelling much faster than any i have seen before.

I think drones can be ruled out due to it being seen over such a wide area. Planes moving that fast would surely make an almighty roar, i didn't hear anything. It looked like reflected light, i agree, not like a light on a plane, and it faded as it moved into the distance.

Probably some kind of satellite/debris and maybe burnt up soon after these sightings? Although the repeated sightings by the starter of this thread might rule this out.

Its been cloudy here lately but i'll keep my eyes out next clear skies and try get some footage if it appears again.

I did'nt notice this before but your 10minutes earlier than Genki so this most likely not the same object.

As I said before, if anyone does see these again lets have the time spot on and your location as near as possible.
Then we can have a look and see if they correspond to known sats.

Hey wxsatuser,

At this point is there any satellites that could be responsible for the sightings a few others and i saw on the monday night?

The timing might not be exact but around 10:30pm travelling East and passing Altair from Lincolnshire near Lincoln.

As i said in a previous post i'm going to try record it if i see it again.

I don't see anything so far apart from Worldview-2 around 1035ish.
This is a big satellite, about 2.8 metric tons with rather large panels.

Hey wxsatuser, thanks

I checked on Heavensabove but don't think WorldView-2 could be it , the direction of travel isn't the same as the object i saw was travelling from West to East and WorldView-2 is more North to South.

I'm hoping to do some meteor shower watching over the next few days so will try and be ready to record this object if it returns.

Posted (edited)

I made this for you.

You can see there are plenty of satellites faster than the ISS.

Edited by StarryEyed
  • Like 1

I too saw this incredibly fast moving object while camping on the shore of lake Huron near the tip of the thumb of Michigan.   We enjoyed seeing the ISS earlier that night in June this year. Then an object, not a meteor,  not a plane, but obviously a satellite appeared in our field of view moving at least 4X the speed of the ISS moving NW to SE.  I too have been watching the skies for 40 years and know what I see. This was incredible and unexplainable.   At least 8 of us saw it and no one could explain it.  In my search for answers I found this forum.  Let's keep looking up and looking for answers.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John J said:

....In my search for answers I found this forum.  Let's keep looking up and looking for answers. 

You won't find any here. No one really cares because it's difficult enough finding slow moving stars between clouds and the neighbourhood lights. Try YouTube lots of answered question on UFOs there.

On 16/08/2019 at 01:43, John J said:

I too saw this incredibly fast moving object while camping on the shore of lake Huron near the tip of the thumb of Michigan.   We enjoyed seeing the ISS earlier that night in June this year. Then an object, not a meteor,  not a plane, but obviously a satellite appeared in our field of view moving at least 4X the speed of the ISS moving NW to SE.  I too have been watching the skies for 40 years and know what I see. This was incredible and unexplainable.   At least 8 of us saw it and no one could explain it.  In my search for answers I found this forum.  Let's keep looking up and looking for answers.  

There is no satellite that will have an apparent speed 4x the ISS, if it could reach that speed it would fly off into space.

Again, no time no date so we cannot verify the claim of a satellite.

You won't find any here. No one really cares because it's difficult enough finding slow moving stars between clouds and the neighbourhood lights. Try YouTube lots of answered question on UFOs there.

I keep asking that any sightings are timed and dated accurately.

If people cannot do that how do we justify that the object is a satellite or whatever.

As far as I know no one on Youtube has ever proved UFO's exist, just lights in the sky.

Edited by wxsatuser

Sorry not to be more specific than 10.45pm on 22 July 2019 CE and following the sort of W to E trajectory I would associate with the ISS. I rarely synchronise chronometers when enjoying a summer evening in the garden. 

4 hours ago, Ludd said:

Sorry not to be more specific than 10.45pm on 22 July 2019 CE and following the sort of W to E trajectory I would associate with the ISS. I rarely synchronise chronometers when enjoying a summer evening in the garden. 

That's ok, fully understand, if we get the timings right at least we can rule out most satellites.

All the years I have spent outside at night I have never seen anything I cannot explain.
Apart from some high flying birds caught me out for a while one night. 😁