Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

upgrading to new mount

Hi all at the moment I've got a eq2 mount with my skywatcher 7mm telescope what are my options to upgrade to a more easier mount to use as well as more productive one. I'm looking at mainly constellations and planets but also dso's so any info would be greatly appreciated cheers. Jimmy

What do you intend to do in say 6 to 12 months time?

How much are you contemplating spending?

What features do you want on it?

You ask 1 question and get 3 back. Unfair isn't it. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Really I would say something like the EQ5, picked on physical size and reasonable potential.

The size is reasonable and there are upgrades available as in EQ5 -> EQ5+dual motors -> EQ5+goto.

I am presently looking at the iOptron Smart EQ, (well I think it is that one) cost is £445.

Just posted elsewhere I am unsure of Skywatcher a little but it seems they all have potential poroblems. Seems to be a case of pick your problem rather then pick your mount. I throw that in as by the time you get EQ% with goto the cost is similar.

The EQ3-2 will be too light and the HEQ5 although nice is a fair size and weight.

Check out a few retailers, some have a used section, Rother Valley do also wander off to ABSUK there may well be a used one and also the front page has a display of retailers, check what Telescope Outlet may have.

By the way I assume you mean 70mm scope, not 7mm ? :grin: :grin:

Hi Jimmy.

So what happened to the Skywatcher Explorer 130mm in your "intro" post - or is that the 7 (mm? inch?) scope :smiley:

Let's assume this is what you're running

skywatcher_explorer_130p_telescope.jpg

Explorer 130 + EQ2

The first thing I'd suggest is going motorised. This can be an upgrade to your existing mount and works by replacing the RA "handle" that you have to keep adjusting to stop your target drifting out of view. The simple motor upgrade (you have to install it yourself) will improve your "productivity" but there are other options, too.

If you want to spend some more money, you could change the entire mount. The EQ2 is, as I'm sure you've noticed. fairly lightweight and will wobble if you touch it or accidentally knock it. If you want to spend a few £££s you can get a heavier, more stable mount with dual motors. You'd still have to operate them by hand - and know where you want to point the telescope.

But ...

for about £500 you can start looking at a GOTO system. Briefly, this would be a completely new, heavier mount with computer / keypad controlled motors. Setting it up is more complex, as you have to set it pointing at Polaris, in order for the GOTO to work properly. However once you have sorted out the alignment and got all the wires and cables going to the right place you can just select a target: Andromeda, Jupiter or whatever and the mount will "slew" the telescope round to the right place - and then it will keep tracking the target automatically.

Those are the basics. Your choice will depend on what you want to spend and where you want to be on the convenience vs. complexity scale.

Hi all I feel that I've not been very clear about the telescope I own although Pete seems to have got the right type so I shall be a bit more precise: skywatcher 130 explorer 130/900 eq2 telescope technical detail:: reflector diameter of primary mirror: 130mm telescope focal length 900mm ( f6.92 ) x2 Barlow lens: 30% more light gathering than 114mm I hope that is a bit more information for everyone now for the mount I don't really want a heavier mount but more of a technical one. In answer to the three questions the first one is easy as I've been looking at stars for over two and a half years now I don't intend to do anything dramatically different to now, as to the price anything between £100-300 and thirdly some sort of automatic tracking if possible but something I can easily understand as I'm a bit thick when it comes to mounts which is why I asked for some advice which is greatly appreciated so thanx to Pete and ronin. Jimmy

Archived