SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

brief first light with 9mm myriad

Daniel-K

last night I had a short but sweet session with my new 9mm 100 deg EP last night. this was the unbranded one bought from astroboot.I was somewhat wary about buying this but at £135 I took a chance.

first impressions was that it was quite light for the 9 elements they state it has.the design is very nice and feels nice when in the hand. the twist up eyecup is smooth.

vega was high in the sky so I though I would have a go at seeing how the edge correction is.TBH here I was not expecting what I saw. my scope is F4.5 and with no CC I would say 96% of the FOV is usable, its only when the star is right on the edge it starts to show any abnormalities.

I then went down to the lovely double alberio.The 9mm gave excellent contrast on this pair, showing its lovely orange and blue colours.

I had a quick look at M13 but the moon was quite close but I was liked what the EP was showing me. I also had a quick comparison against my 10mm 82deg AxiomLX but not enough time or objects to write anything on.

I did find that the screw in 2" noisepiece didn't fit into my moonlite or the 2" baader click lock, so I had to use the 1.25" fitting. the twist up cup is ok but I have long eyelash's so found it hard to keep them from tickling the glass.

once I get a full night in at at a dark site I should be able to write a better review but for the money I think SW or who ever has this design have done well.

I thought you would like it Dan  :smiley:

It's sharp more or less right across the FoV in my F/5.3 dob. The design of the eye cup does mean that your eye / face needs to "get intimate" with the top of the eyepiece to see the full FoV but it does deliver a pretty immersive experience. A very good effort at a 100 degree eyepiece for the £'s I reckon. 

I thought you would like it Dan  :smiley:

It's sharp more or less right across the FoV in my F/5.3 dob. The design of the eye cup does mean that your eye / face needs to "get intimate" with the top of the eyepiece to see the full FoV but it does deliver a pretty immersive experience. A very good effort at a 100 degree eyepiece for the £'s I reckon. 

yup I agree john I look forward to the other FL that they are suppose to bringing out. id go as far as saying it was as sharp as my 17.3mm delos :eek:

'I did find that the screw in 2" noisepiece didn't fit into my moonlite or the 2" baader click lock, so I had to use the 1.25" fitting. the twist up cup is ok but I have long eyelash's so found it hard to keep them from tickling the glass.'

Hi Dan, if that's the 1.25" securing screw, surely you should just remove it when using the ep in 2" mode, or am I missing some thing here?

They don't have a 1.25" securing screw Robin. The 2" barrel option screws onto the 1.25" filter thread of the 1.25" barrel and covers the whole of the smaller barrel. It's not a hybrid / 2" skirt arrangement like many eyepieces use. The 2" "over barrel" is threaded for 2" filters.

I've found the 2" barrel on the ones I have fit my focusers and diagonals so it may be that the machining tolerances on Dans unbranded example were just a touch looser.

They don't have a 1.25" securing screw Robin. The 2" barrel option screws onto the 1.25" filter thread of the 1.25" barrel and covers the whole of the smaller barrel. It's not a hybrid / 2" skirt arrangement like many eyepieces use. The 2" "over barrel" is threaded for 2" filters.

I've found the 2" barrel on the ones I have fit my focusers and diagonals so it may be that the machining tolerances on Dans unbranded example were just a touch looser.

Ah thanks John, I am much wiser now.  Not come across this type before, though I have read about them.

Archived