Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Nottingham!

dan65364

I have been interested in astronomy for a while and not done nothing much about it, so I thought I'd join up here!

I want to be getting a telescope soon, but it looks like I've got some reading and learning to do before I get to that stage  :smiley:  I've also been listening to a few star talk radio pod casts and find it fascinating.

Got out the other night with my bridge camera (also need to buy a DSLR) and thought I'd take a quick snap of the moon 

10473116_10154231963195481_234514622_o.j

Photography and photoshop is something else on the list of things to learn as well  :grin:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dan and welcome to SGL, research is invaluable before committing to purchasing any scope. A thorough search of the forum, sections dealing with scope purchase through to AP, should give you a valuable insight. One of the first things that will become apparent, if you want to extend into AP, is that deep pockets might be an added bonus. Whatever you do enjoy your Astronomy, nice picture of the Moon by the way :)  

Hi Dan.  This is a great place to learn.  Could I suggest you download "RegiStax"?  It's a free programme that lets you stack your pictures to get a clearer image.  I'm not sure how much you can do with a Bridge camera (obviously, the zoom is good enough to get you close to the moon!), but if you can override the ISO and set this to 100 and the shutter speed to 0.125, take a series of 10 or more photos as quickly as you can (with the camera on a tripod of course) and run them through RegiStax.  You may be surprised at the results!

Archived