Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC1318 Butterfly Nebula + Sadr (130pds)

Uranium235

Despite a full-ish Moon, I wasnt going to miss the chance for a quick Ha session last night. Trouble was, the location of the Moon was pretty much in the patch of the sky I originally wanted (M16/M8).

So, time to think of something new, I was aware that the region around Sadr is quite busy in Ha so I thought I would give a quick 2 pane mosaic a go. Its only 40min per pane, but this nebula is surprisingly bright - in fact the dynamic range of the area is such that a single layer wont do it. This had to be layer masked in order to keep the finer details within the wings of the butterfly structure while chasing the outer regions - this is detail that is so often lost when processing images from this area. Indeed, my first attempt was a total blow-out, so I had to tone it down and get busy with the layer masks.

I will be revisiting for more data to get it up to at least 90min per pane, I shouldnt think it would need much more than that before moving on to OIII. Once I get a full set of data I will also be able to do a proper job on controling Sadr.

6x450 (Ha) 2x panes 2x2 bin

130pds, NEQ6, Atik 383L+, MPCC MkIII

Thanks for looking :)

Rob

14435713028_c37aea8bfc_b.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheer Olly, this is something I wouldnt have attempted with the old 314!

I might have done it in one (unbinned) if I rotated the camera, but I try to avoid that whenever possible (I'd rather mosaic than rotate!).

Thanks all :)

I did manage to top-up both panes last night by another 30min each, and will post an update once im satisfied with the processing (currently experimenting with Maxim's digital development tool).

lovely mosaic Rob! what temp do you set you 383L+ to by the way? would it be the coolest possible at -40

Cheers! This one was -19c, since the ambient temp was about 15c. During the winter I can run it down to -30, but Ive never taken it lower than that.

Cheer Olly, this is something I wouldnt have attempted with the old 314!

I might have done it in one (unbinned) if I rotated the camera, but I try to avoid that whenever possible (I'd rather mosaic than rotate!).

So would I!

:grin: lly

Cheers Sara :)

I did manage to get out Friday night, but the sky was awful. I ended up having to trash nearly all of the data collected for that night :(  so it will be a week or so before I can take it further. All I need is for the Moon to get lost, as this project has been mostly under strong Moonlight so it will be nice to get some clean subs in (and it will help clean up the background a bit more).

Cheers Guy :)

I was out last night and managed to grab a few more subs to replace the rubbish I collected on Friday last week. Definitely seems to have done the trick, not a even a sniff of noise now. Should look good with a splash of colour:

15x450 (Ha)

14468797468_745e09376b_b.jpg

Fullsize here:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5516/14468797468_94e02121b4_o.jpg

OIII to follow next time im out (assuming no Moon about).

Fingers crossed for you Rob, weather meant to be improving this week for your next bout.

Dont think ill attempt this one yet as i'd imagine it will be a mosaic & its not something ive tried.

The Ha data you got for such short time is impressive to say the least.

Keep on it, looking forward to this completed.

Thanks Ewan, im in two minds as to whether to go out tonight. I'd be relying on the forecast being wrong (says cloudy til 11pm), and im not sure if the sky is ready for any OIII yet either. But I might just get away with it if im pointing straight up.... we shall see!

Gulp.

The first version you posted was absolutely excellent, so how do I describe the latest one?  I've run out of superlatives, but it's a very, very beautiful image and for a mosaic, with our weather?  Fantastic.

Brilliant capture and good processing with regards to stretching Rob.

Your stars are showing signs of sharpening though....the sharpening has worked beautifully on the nebula, but the overall image is now suffereing due to the stars looking unnatural.

Do the same sharpening to the neb, but don't sharpen the stars and it'll be a top shelf image :smiley:

Archived