Eye or ee?

Floater

Loungers all, do we have a consensus on how to pronounce the 'user friendly' name for gamma Cas?

I believe that the astronaut Virgil, or Gus, Ivan Grissom named the star after himself. The question is did he pronounce his middle name as eyevan or eevan? In other words, is it Naveye or Navee?

As Gus died on the launch pad in 1967 there is no relistic way of knowing how he pronounced that one of his middle names,

Dare say back then it was Eye-Van but no-one will know for sure.

Identify his parents and their background and that might help.

It was also just the letters backwards and that does not necessarily match the pronounciation in reverse.

Whatever his nickname for it it never was applied and so is known as Gamme-Cassiopeiae, or HIP 4427 or SAO 11482 in the most common references.

Oh my! To empower the unreasonable - these are weighty words.

But is it Mace or Myopicus? Indeed, that doesn't matter, but a consensus will assist discourse in a common language. And though vulgar, 'common' is, by definition, not unreasonable.

I'm just having fun and enjoying myself with things that make me wonder - some great, some small and most of no concern.

So while of no concern, Mace/Myopicus, how would you pronounce Navi?

Hmmm . . . 

'Nav' as in "I'm off to the lavatory."

'i' as in " Id, ego and super-ego are the three parts of the self as defined by Sigmund Freud"

That's my guess, for what it matters.  :icon_eek:

And it's Mace to my friends, of which you are one. because that's my name. Myopicus is my short sighted av.  :wink:

Better late than never, Mace! (Just another clichè from the matterless miasma of my mind.)

Anyhow, since it doesn't matter, I'm going to opt for 'Naveye' just 'cos it seems to fit better to my mind (see above).

Now, from the left, Segin, Ruchbah ....

Archived