Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cameras for Astronomy

Hi,

I am looking at buying a camera to use on my Dobsonian 200p, does anyone have any recommendations on the type of cameras that you can use at a budget price £200 - £300 and also do you need to get the camera modified? As I would like to use it for general photography too, but also do you need certain attachments to connect the camera to the scope sorry about all the questions if anyone could help be much appreciated as always.

Thanks

Matt

When you get a response Matt, I want in.

Currently using an attachment for my LG G2, for photography and nearing boiling point, where I want to purchase too - would also love to be able to use it for general photography also.

Found this site, in the past, but they're all modified.

http://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/Available-Cameras.html

Since you are going to be using a dobsonian, you will not be able to photography DSOs anyway, because that requires a dedicated equatorial mount. And since you want to use the camera for day to day use also, then you would do well to get a canon or a Nikon DSLR. To connect that to the scope, you will require a t-ring, and a t-adaptor, which can be easily got. Also, to achieve focus, and to get a good image, it would be better if you can get a 2x or 3x Barlow.

Hi,

Would the Cannon Canon 1100D/650D do the trick or Nikon D7000? and thank you for your info

I own both those cameras and they both work great for astrophotography, the D7000 produces better quality images with less noise, it's wonderful also in daylight. A modified one will be able to get more detail in the h-alpha wavelengths of emission nebulae, so you will get more red detail, but a non modified camera will work too.

Canon cameras are normally preferred because of their software support and they are a good value, but Nikon cameras to the job too and have great sensors.

Even if you don't have an equatorial mount, if you have a motorised dobsonian, you should be able to achieve about 20 / 30 seconds of exposure, and you might be able to photograph some bright DSO's, but if you don't have a motorised dob you can still photograph the moon and planets, for the latter a webcam might be a better solution.

Check these pictures taken by another SGL member with a Dob and a non modified 1100D.

Hope this helps!

Regards

I own both those cameras and they both work great for astrophotography, the D7000 produces better quality images with less noise, it's wonderful also in daylight. A modified one will be able to get more detail in the h-alpha wavelengths of emission nebulae, so you will get more red detail, but a non modified camera will work too.

Canon cameras are normally preferred because of their software support and they are a good value, but Nikon cameras to the job too and have great sensors.

Even if you don't have an equatorial mount, if you have a motorised dobsonian, you should be able to achieve about 20 / 30 seconds of exposure, and you might be able to photograph some bright DSO's, but if you don't have a motorised dob you can still photograph the moon and planets, for the latter a webcam might be a better solution.

Check these pictures taken by another SGL member with a Dob and a non modified 1100D.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Nothing more to add :)

The other plus about Canon camera bodies is that you can fit quite a lot of other manufacturer's lenses to them (with adaptors) and still reach infinity focus, not always possible the other way around...

However if you are only going to use scopes then it doesn't matter.

Archived