Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

iwannabswiss

My Saturn Progress

Got a 4" scope for Christmas and finally started to take my first images with a modified hp-4110 webcam back in May, which is the first picture.  I recently acquired a Meade 10" SN and was able to take this second image, obviously there is a collimation/focus issue which is being addressed.  I have purchased a Catseye and moved my remote focuser over so once I get everything is order I hope the image will improve.  Next goal is to modify my spc900nc for long exposure and move onto DSO.  Any other advice would be appreciated, thanks for looking!

933773bc6c4da3a332fcdb0f2a77f9c9.620x0_q

ba598f8b1747202fda4a7fadb5690a2b.620x0_q

• Like 3

Thank you, there is so much to learn and it's fun and aggravating. I would like to start a blog and be able to look back.

Great images, i recently receiveda 4.5 inch refractor so its nice to see what can be captured with one around the same size. Look forward to having a go.

If i was to give you some advice about imaging DSOs though, it would be to not use a webcam! From what i've seen it doesnt tend to end well. Try and get your hands on a DSLR if you can, there are some great deals on AstroBuySell for modified cams, new and pre-owned.

Thanks for the advice. I only plan on using the 900 to get my feet wet. No needed spending lots of money if I don't get it or like it. It will mainly be my planetary camera and I'll use my 4110 for autoguiding.