Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

OscarTheGrouch

Using Nexstar Mount with Astromaster Scope

Hi everyone,

I have a Celestron Astromaster 130 Newtonian scope on an EQ mount with the RA motor drive.  I'm now looking to buy myself a 90GT Nexstar that will be my "shove it in the boot on the way to a meet" scope.

My current scope has a quick release dovetail that makes it nice and easy to fix to the EQ mount and it looks like the 90GT has something similar.  So what I want to know is whether (provided I balance the scope correctly) I can use the 130 Newtonian on the Nexstar mount at home.  I'm sure there must be someone on the forum that's tried this, so if they can tell me the pitfalls to avoid I'd appreciate it.

I think weight might be an issue. The legs look like they would take a little less weight than the 130's. 

I have a 130EQ also. 

Also the motor might be strained a bit.

• Like 1

I was worried about the weight/balance too, but they also make a Nexstar 130 and I can't see any difference between it and the 90 in terms of motor/construction.  I think I may have to get in touch with Celestron directly.  I'll post back with what they say, but I'd still be interested in views from everyone

Celestron have responded to me - they're pretty good with the customer service. 

I asked them what the difference was between the current SLT model and the older GT NexStar and whether the two scopes (example I used was 130 Astromaster and 102 refractor Nexstar) could be used on the opposing mounts.  Here's their response:

The differences between the GT and the SLT are minimal, however I would advise going with the SLT because it uses some newer components.  This would ensure the longevity and repair capabilities in the future. 

Yes, you can mount the 130 on the SLT, no problem.  You could essentially attach the optical tube from the SLT to your EQ mount but I would advise against it.  Chances are, the optical tube on the SLT will be heavier than what the EQ mount can support.

So there we have it. 

Thats actually good news for other people looking to do the same as you. If they back a 5" Newt on a GT/SLT then it also shows the computerised mount has some power relative to its size. Thats a good outcome for you then :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By GavinC
      Hello,
      Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about whether it's possible to mount alternative OTAs with a dovetail or rings to the mount that comes with a Celestron Nexstar 80GT?  In particular I am wondering about attaching a SW Heritage 130P?  I know that Celestron did a 130mm reflecting 'scope on his mount, but it looks to also have that plastic tube clamp, seen on the 80mm image below.
      Thanks,
      Gavin

• By nuffsed81
      I have just got a second hand Astromaster 130EQ. I want to say that i have collimated scopes before without the use of a laser but in this case i have 2 questions as this is so far out i cant see what i am looking at half the time. So hopefully you can help, thank you.
      Info about the first problem:
      The secondary mirror fixing screw that hold the mirror and the collimation allen key bolts were so loose the secondary mirror had rolled facing the bottom of the OTE. In every other case the holding screw never needed touching and all i had to do were make small adjustments with an allen key, no screwdriver was needed. So this case is a whole different scale then any other collimation i have ever needed to do. You probably all know that i need to get the center of the eyepiece in line with the center of the mirror before can move on with this step. 
      Question 1
      What is the best way to do this, shall i just eye it for now? (i have seen people measuring to the center of the eyepiece and then do the same with mirror but then i still dont know if the mirror is facing me directly.)

Info about the second problem
      Every other time i have collimated a scope the mirror and scope were very low quality and just used for practice basically. The old scopes were used to see if i wanted to go further into this hobby which i definitely do. Any how the old scopes had a flat mirror and i could find the center by placing the mirror on paper and tracing a circle template. The thing is this mirror is concaved so any template iswill have to be pushed into the vurve (i think).
      Question 2
      So how can i center the mirror without placing it face down on a piece of paper which cant be a good thing?
      Thank you. I hope i have not gone on to much, thank you for your patience in reading a long winded post.
    • By Spriggs
      Hello,
      I'm looking to get myself a new telescope to get back outside and looking up. I currently have a Celestron Astromaster 130eq, however, I do not use it as much as it broke in a way where the mount and knobs cannot be fixed. I did enjoy using it, but now I am looking for a more convenient scope to use. I'm looking at smaller goto scopes around $400. I want to be able to take it with me anywhere, set it up in minutes, and get to observing without much hassle (punch in an object and have it be tracked). I'm currently looking at the two scopes below:
      Celestron NexStar 4se 
      Celestron NexStar 130 SLT
      I realized the 130 is the same size as my current scope, but with its goto factor, I feel like I would use it a lot more. The 4se is very appealing due to its small form factor. In addition to the Solar System, I would like to be able to see some DSOs. As for the price, $400 is my comfort zone at the moment, but I'll consider going up or down based on recommendations. If anyone has any experience with the scopes above, or has a recommendation, please share your input. I would love to hear it as I really want to get back outside and observing. 
      Thanks,
      Spriggs

• By OldManJ
      I am considering purchasing the https://www.celestron.com/products/nexstar-130slt-computerized-telescope for my son for XMAS.  I want the Go To functionality and I have looked into software and know I will want TheStarX software to point to objects in the sky.  My question is what do I need to get this to work?  How do I connect the telescope to my network so my computer can talk to it?
    • By Robert6256
      I just recently took a teaching position at a local community college. We have a virtually mint Celestron Nexstar 8 that, as far as I can tell, has had almost no use. Probably because of this, the center support post and accessory tray are missing. I don't need the tray, and it doesn't figure into the tripod stability, but the post does. I am trying to fabricate a new one (we have the machining capability to do it here), but I need some help with dimensions. Specifically, the thread of the post at the top where the rod enters the mounting plate of the scope, and the length of the rod. The rest I can make work.
      Thanks for any help you can provide!

Robert

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.