Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Using Nexstar Mount with Astromaster Scope

Hi everyone,

I have a Celestron Astromaster 130 Newtonian scope on an EQ mount with the RA motor drive.  I'm now looking to buy myself a 90GT Nexstar that will be my "shove it in the boot on the way to a meet" scope.

My current scope has a quick release dovetail that makes it nice and easy to fix to the EQ mount and it looks like the 90GT has something similar.  So what I want to know is whether (provided I balance the scope correctly) I can use the 130 Newtonian on the Nexstar mount at home.  I'm sure there must be someone on the forum that's tried this, so if they can tell me the pitfalls to avoid I'd appreciate it.

I think weight might be an issue. The legs look like they would take a little less weight than the 130's. 

I have a 130EQ also. 

Also the motor might be strained a bit.

I was worried about the weight/balance too, but they also make a Nexstar 130 and I can't see any difference between it and the 90 in terms of motor/construction.  I think I may have to get in touch with Celestron directly.  I'll post back with what they say, but I'd still be interested in views from everyone

Celestron have responded to me - they're pretty good with the customer service. 

I asked them what the difference was between the current SLT model and the older GT NexStar and whether the two scopes (example I used was 130 Astromaster and 102 refractor Nexstar) could be used on the opposing mounts.  Here's their response:

The differences between the GT and the SLT are minimal, however I would advise going with the SLT because it uses some newer components.  This would ensure the longevity and repair capabilities in the future. 

Yes, you can mount the 130 on the SLT, no problem.  You could essentially attach the optical tube from the SLT to your EQ mount but I would advise against it.  Chances are, the optical tube on the SLT will be heavier than what the EQ mount can support.

So there we have it. 

Thats actually good news for other people looking to do the same as you. If they back a 5" Newt on a GT/SLT then it also shows the computerised mount has some power relative to its size. Thats a good outcome for you then :)

Archived