Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Free Astronomy Tools Website

Looks great. I've already had a look at what the elusive M4 SHOULD look like through my 925 :-)

Can you add a Skywatcher 100mm refractor please?

I still feel bad about my grumpy comment on the weather app - but really anything that adds to the arsenal of resources for us astronomers is to be heartily welcomed. Thanks again chaps

Kerry

Focal length and aperture are not displaying for the Revelation 12" f5 Dob.

Focal length = 1520

Aperture = 304

Sorry about that - small bug, now squashed :)

This should work fine now.

Thanks for letting us know!

Looks great. I've already had a look at what the elusive M4 SHOULD look like through my 925 :-)

Can you add a Skywatcher 100mm refractor please?

I still feel bad about my grumpy comment on the weather app - but really anything that adds to the arsenal of resources for us astronomers is to be heartily welcomed. Thanks again chaps

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

The Sky-watcher Evostar 100ED DS-Pro is now selectable in the field of view simulator.

Cheers,

Grant

Thanks for a great web resource guys. Having the DSS images is a really nice feature, thanks :)

Are the eyepiece simulations from focal length & aFOV or from fieldstop diameters? Does it really matter?

Thanks for a great web resource guys. Having the DSS images is a really nice feature, thanks :)

Are the eyepiece simulations from focal length & aFOV or from fieldstop diameters? Does it really matter?

The calculations are done using focal length and apparent field of view.

Cheers,

Grant

That works really well Steve - Any chance of the obscure PK, HH and Sharpless catalogues on there? It seemed to load quicker than 12Dstring.

Hi Sara,

I've changed the object lookup to use the SAC database which contains all of the databases you listed and many more:

http://www.saguaroastro.org/content/db/sac743/SACdatabasev7.43.htm

Please give it a try and let us know what you think.

Cheers,

Grant

could i suggest you add the standard, basic skywatcher eyepieces that come with most skywatcher scopes, for us noobs.  It'd be really helpful, but it looks great.

We will, and more :smiley: 

We have also included a button that enables you to add new eyepieces, cameras and telescopes of your choice. 

Last night Grant embedded the Astronomy Tools Field of View Simulator into our Baader Hyperion eyepieces page and pre-populated it with the Hyperion eyepiece FOVs. We have set the Skyliner 200p Dobsonian (our bestselling telescope) as default but you can choose another telescope. You can also remove or add other eyepieces to the display, including your own for comparison. You can even add a camera - ever wondered which eyepiece FOV most matches your camera's? 

Currently it only appears on the Hyperion eyepiece page but after it has been tested it will appear on other product pages. Not only eyepiece pages but telescopes and cameras too.

These are early days (astronomy tools was launched only three days ago) so we have more work to do. In particular we need to add more scopes, eyepieces and cameras to the list. But we have made a start and hope you find it useful :smiley:

Steve 

This is a great tools resource nice to have everything under one roof. :)

Using the FOV calculator I can't seem to manage to joggle back n forth between generated views of an object. They show in the list on the right and feature with coloured circles + labels on the picture but how do I move between views?

Example, details entered SW200P, EP 32mm 70° generates picture, then SW200P, EP 6mm 60° generates picture but how do I get back to the original picture without having to reenter all the details?

Is there a missing clickable link in the EP image list on the right panel?

All the very best,

Rich

Hi Rich,

As you add different equipment combinations, they should appear in the equipment list on the right and also each one should appear at the same time in the field of view simulator - you can have up to 8 different equipment combination FOVs displaying simultaneously.

From the equipment list on the right hand side, you can remove equipment combinations by pressing the 'X' button to remove that combination from the view.

I'm not sure what you mean by being able to joggle backwards and forwards between views because all of the views should be on display at the same time - is this not what you see?

If you just want to change the target being displayed, you can choose a different object at the top, and the target should change instantly.

Cheers,

Grant

Hi Grant, everything you mention above is fine.

I have the site displayed on a second portrait monitor and unfortunately a bit to the right got cut off in transition. (the delete Xs) doh.

The problem was at my end not yours.

All the very best,

Richard

The astronomy tools Field Of View simulator now works for binoculars  :bino2:

Simply click on 'Binocular Mode' then either enter your binocular details or select one of ours from a drop-down list. As with the telescope field of view simulator you can choose multiple binoculars and change the target displayed. You can even add telescopes for comparison. 

It has been released only today so the paint might be wet in places and there are only a handful of pre-entered binoculars but we will add more and you can also add your own for inclusion in the list (click the green button). 

A smaller version has been embedded in our Celestron Echelon 10x70 binocular page. If it proves popular we'll do the same at our other binocular pages. 

Hope you find it useful. If you find a bug or have a suggestion please let us know :smiley:

Steve

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/user/products/celestron_echelon_binoculars.jpg

Another small but significant update. When comparing binocular FOVs using the astronomy tools FOV calculator the image text now includes exit-pupil size.

You can select up to seven different binoculars and compare their magnification, objective diameter, FOV and exit-pupil size. This is true even if you are using the smaller astronomy tools window on our product description pages. Please see the Helios Apollo binocular and Opticron 80 WP binocular pages for examples. 

Hope you find it useful :smiley:

post-54-0-32977200-1405682760_thumb.png

Another small but significant update. When comparing binocular FOVs using the astronomy tools FOV calculator the image text now includes exit-pupil size.

You can select up to seven different binoculars and compare their magnification, objective diameter, FOV and exit-pupil size. This is true even if you are using the smaller astronomy tools window on our product description pages. Please see the Helios Apollo binocular and Opticron 80 WP binocular pages for examples. 

Hope you find it useful :smiley:

That's great :) Any chance of adding the same (7 options + exit pupil on image) for the Telescope visual FOV?

That's great :) Any chance of adding the same (7 options + exit pupil on image) for the Telescope visual FOV?

The exit-pupli is currently available above and to the right of the image (see attached crop) but I guess if someone saves the image for later it would be useful if it were there too.

Thank-you Rik :smiley:

post-54-0-04508000-1405686260_thumb.png

• Like 1