Should I keep my 30mm Aero for the C8?

Hi all, What are your opinions? Originally bought for my recently sold dob. I would need a 2" VB and diagonal, most recommendations I've come across are 40mm eps for lowest power. My lowest 1.14 EP is a 25mm BST, or perhaps I should save a ton of money and sell it to finance a different ep? I also have the 8,12 and 15mm BSTs.

Many thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

The Aero 30 will work excellently in the C8 although investing in a 2" VB + diagonal will set you back a bit. If getting the widest possible view is not a high priority then a 32mm plossl will also work very nicely, shows as much sky as a 1.25" eyepiece can and the 52 degree apparent field is not too claustrophobic as it is in a 40mm in the 1.25" fitting.

I had one of these for a short while when I used a C8. It was OK but it tended to produce a seagull effect on some stars away from the centre field. The contrast was OK but not great. I replaced it for a Panoptic 27mm, which performed magnificently at home or at star parties. I later added a 35mm Panoptic also magnificent which I used when at dark sites.

I had one of these for a short while when I used a C8. It was OK but it tended to produce a seagull effect on some stars away from the centre field. The contrast was OK but not great. I replaced it for a Panoptic 27mm, which performed magnificently at home or at star parties. I later added a 35mm Panoptic also magnificent which I used when at dark sites.

Thanks Iain, I must add the 24mm pan as well (Loved it, borrowed) although on my old dob.

Cheers

Chris

Archived