Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What should I be able to find at the moment?

neptune1

Thinking about what I should be realistically searching for / expecting to see in this summer grey sky with my 4 inch scope. i had a couple of good weekends and did the visible planets and constellations. This weekend it's been all cloudy and disappointing. What should I aim for now from the backyard? Have good views to the west, east and southeast but am in a red zone and to the southeast/east sits London in all it's orange glory. To see the north I'd have to transport it to the top of the hill but north is nice and dark as all forest. Any guidance appreciated as with the light nights am keen to not waste time on fruitless efforts. Thanks guys.

To start of, cloud and more cloud, thats what is visible here! but if your more lucky in Essex and have that rare thing of clear skies you have Saturn but its dropping low now but look on stelllarium to see what visible

M57, M13, M27, M11

These are probably the most spectacular summer deepsky objects that are easily within the grasp of 4". Make sure you see all of those, then move on to the other stuff, probably including some easy doubles like Albeiro, the double double (epsilon Lyrae), Nu draconis. Check out the garnet star in cepheus for some colour....Check out the milk way in Cygnus using your lowest power eyepiece.

This time of year M5 is almost straight up from Saturn , looks lovely :-) and M53 looks pretty sparkly .

Check out the area between Virgo and Leo , loads of fuzziness .

Do you have an ipad / tablet ?

Thanks guys. I'm having trouble with stellarium, will have another go at working it out and will try that other app listed too. Thanks for listing those targets- that will give me something to focus on. I have an iphone and ipad and have downloaded Skymap -which is useful as a ballpark map but am needing my paper maps too.  

Thanks have turn left at orion and pocket sky handbook from my binocular days so am all set up, I suppose it's not knowing what is possible with the 4 inch compared to the bins- a learning experience. Having some targets from you guys is helpful, thanks.

Archived