Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Independence Day Milky Way

After the skies darkened from the hoopla of setting off fireworks, I took a 20 minute ride to a new dark site I was thinking about. Clouds were threatening so I didn't set up the scope, just my 1100D and tripod.

Single 20 sec exposure. 18mm F/3.5 3200 ISO 

MilkyWayoverJackLake2.jpg

Thank you! Advantage to the fact that it is so dark there that even after turning on a flashlight or looking at the LCD screen, as soon as you look back up the milky way is right there. No adjustment needed for the eyes.

I can not express the feeling of seeing the milky way like that with the naked eye. Just a sense of awe and complete insignificance. 

I have been interested in the stars and astronomy for awhile and got my first scope last November. Since then I always look up at night. Clouds or not. Makes me feel like no matter what my personal problems may be I am small. But at the same time I know that everyone of us is made of star stuff so I feel huge. 

I try to convey these feelings with others but I don't really think they could comprehend what I really feel. 

Archived