Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M51 - Whirlpool Galaxy (re process)

Just having a play with old data, trying to improve my processing skills, i think its a real improvement compared to what it was, only 40mins worth of 1 min subs so not a lot of data at all, these were unguided subs also from my garden taken months ago, so i can not really wait to get out to my dark site when the dark skies return to try all my new gear/programs and new skills lol, cant wait to see the difference with guided 5min subs with my new Coma corrector/darks/flats and bias :D

re process

14550970186_aaac63d28a_c.jpg

M51 re process - 04-07-14 by tingting44, on Flickr

Thanks Cockney

cant stop playing now lol, please let me know which one you think is better........ my eyes are kind of blurring over now looking at the same image so much lol

#2.....bit more noise but more detail.........maybe something inbetween?

14594462393_2eced2a9b2_c.jpg

M51 re process #2 - 04-07-14 by tingting44, on Flickr

I think I would keep it closer to 1. Yes, there looks to be more detail in 2 but I suspect some of that is artifacts / noise masquerading as detail.

Having said which, I'd be well chuffed to have produced either at the moment.

I think I would keep it closer to 1. Yes, there looks to be more detail in 2 but I suspect some of that is artifacts / noise masquerading as detail.

Having said which, I'd be well chuffed to have produced either at the moment.

Thanks for your input and kind comments, going to have a few more goes at it tomorrow so will post up :)

1st is def. better than 2nd... 2nd looks over processed.

What scope did you use? I assume that's a natural diffraction spike (i.e. you used a newt)

yes the diffraction spike is natural, the scope i used is a SW 130-pds (no CC) :) 

Cool... artificial spikes are a bug-bear of mine :laugh:

thanks, haha :)

Very good for a small scope... if you jump to a larger aperture, you def. need a coma corrector

yes it is a little scope, but the Coma is terrible in it, thats why i have cropped so much off the original image... i was not bothered about it before, but where im getting more picky about my images i cant stand the coma any more lol, cant wait to try out my new coma corrector and light pollution filter :D

nice image there tingting44 

ps do'nt know if you have tried this but open up photoshop and then open both images highlight the first image then under image go to apply image then select source as second image and opacity at 50 or what ever you feel like. its a bit like manual stacking and sometimes improves an image.  :smiley:

nice image there tingting44 

ps do'nt know if you have tried this but open up photoshop and then open both images highlight the first image then under image go to apply image then select source as second image and opacity at 50 or what ever you feel like. its a bit like manual stacking and sometimes improves an image.  :smiley:

Thanks Toxic :)

ohh that sounds interesting, going to try that now :)

edit, i like that a lot! defo my fave out of the 3 attemps so far :)

Archived