SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

'Zero Gravity' Recliners - anyone used one for Astronomy?

A few weeks ago, while checking out a discount shop, I came across one of these recliners. Hadn't seem them before, and tried one out. Seems to me to be a bit different from a 'standard' recliner. As you lean back and forward, the recliner adjusts for your position. Then today, saw an advert in one of our local papers, with the usual advertising blurb 'as created by NASA'!

Hyperbole aside, has anyone tried one of these while using binoculars hand held? They seem like they might be a good, cheaper solution to a dedicated 'binocular chair', as well as being easier to store. And if you have, can you recommend any particular models? The one I tried was £35, and the one in the paper was £60.

Mark

I have one of those chairs.  I have never thought of using it for viewing.  I can't speak to the use of binoculars as I don't have any, but I can say it is perfect for watching meteor showers!

No recliner here on earth can or ever will be "zero gravity". My main thought is that a recliner that moves up and down with the weight of you and shifting body position will simply introduce a lot of wobble to your views as it adjusts to your movement.

Surely a seat/recliner in a fixed position will offer more stability to the views?.

I'm in a wheelchair and the only instability i get while observing is if i refocus my scope while viewing and that lasts a couple of seconds. Thats the scopes fault and nothing to do with my wheelchair.

Paul

I might have been a bit misleading in my original post, Paul. When you lean back on one of these, they go like what is shown on this video...

...so you are in a more relaxed position than on a normal garden chair. Someone over on the UK Astromy Forum in the thread I posted there (see post @4) says he's glad he bought one of these for binocular use.

http://www.astronomyforum.net/binoculars-forum/183313-zero-gravity-recliners-anyone-used-one-binoculars-astronomy.html

Mark

Archived