Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet Jacques coming around

Here it is from a couple of weeks ago.  It will be interesting so see if it develops a visible tail, no sign of one so far.  It will have a couple of close conjuntions, with The Garnet Star at the end of this month and with Albireo a couple of weeks later.  I will definitely be out to have a look and if conditions are right I will try to image the Garnet one with my trusty old 200P (yes Bish, your old scope is still alive and well).

14790075425_488e131309_z.jpg
C/2014 E2 Jacques by porkyb, on Flickr

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here it is from a couple of weeks ago.  It will be interesting so see if it develops a visible tail, no sign of one so far.  It will have a couple of close conjuntions, with The Garnet Star at the end of this month and with Albireo a couple of weeks later.  I will definitely be out to have a look and if conditions are right I will try to image the Garnet one with my trusty old 200P (yes Bish, your old scope is still alive and well).

14790075425_488e131309_z.jpg

C/2014 E2 Jacques by porkyb, on Flickr

Well done. Looks like you're achieving better things with the 200p than I did!

I'LL say it looks very similar to your photos now visually with my 200cm Newt..

Maybe slightly smaller and without the glorious technicolour, but the shape is showing well, including the pointy

bit to the right upper quarter in the photie.

Massive clouds here still but with gaps between, I may well set my bladder for 02:00.

Mick

I'LL say it looks very similar to your photos now visually with my 200cm Newt..

Maybe slightly smaller and without the glorious technicolour, but the shape is showing well, including the pointy

bit to the right upper quarter in the photie.

Massive clouds here still but with gaps between, I may well set my bladder for 02:00.

Mick

Just drunk a large glass of water. Hoping for a 01:30 wake up!

Having watched the recent Sky at Night with Pete showing how easy it is to image Jacques with a DSLR I thought I'd give it a quick try as it was too windy to use the big scope.

Well I peppered the sky in the right area (according to Stellarium) zoomed from 70mm to 200mm, APSC sensor, tried every ISO and exposure and caught nothing.

Panned between Capella and Mirphak, found little group of mag' 4-5 stars in Perseus, Jacques should have been about there but no sign.

Did have a full Moon behind me but hoped the comet bright enough to show up or was Pete's image doctored  :grin:

Dave

Bagged Jacques at around 3.00am - firstly through the bins then he climbed high enough to be clear of the trees to the NNE and so visible in my Dob. Tried hard to see any sign of a tail - trying averted vision and various filters, but no joy. The very bright moon probably did not help. The comet should be good as it climbs higher and we lose the moon, providing it doesn't fade dramatically. 

Yes Kerry,

the comet is bright, but better without the big close moon.

I have not seen much of a tail, but a slight extension on one side to make it look a little tear-drop-ish.

Not sure whether the weather will be good to us this eve, but I am ready for the Perseids all night so the scope

will be at the south end of the garden looking northeast for when this little chap pops over the rooftops.

Mick

Still not visible in my bins but that part of the sky is particularly bad for me with lights. Will need to stop being lazy and drag the scope outside.

Should be visible in your 15x70 at least. But I know what you mean about lights in certain directions - it's SW that's bad for me.

Should be visible in your 15x70 at least. But I know what you mean about lights in certain directions - it's SW that's bad for me.

Have to admit I've been a bit lazy with this one. Normally I will set an alarm (sleeping downstairs!) and go out in the back garden when it's high enough to be seen above the house. This time I've just been getting out of bed and leaning out of the window but getting all the street light reflections from the front of the house. It's been very murky too. As long as we get some more clear nights I will make sure I see it - but might need to leave the bedroom!

Have to admit I've been a bit lazy with this one. Normally I will set an alarm (sleeping downstairs!) and go out in the back garden when it's high enough to be seen above the house. This time I've just been getting out of bed and leaning out of the window but getting all the street light reflections from the front of the house. It's been very murky too. As long as we get some more clear nights I will make sure I see it - but might need to leave the bedroom!

The best image I got of Ison was out the bedroom window.:)

Dave 

23:10 and the moon is bright, the Perseids as yet are few but Comet Jacques is up above my roof

and putting on a show.

About mag 6, brighter in the middle and laughing at the moon's attempts to drown it out.

Good start to an all-night vigil.

Mick

I failed to see the comet on Monday night in my 80mm f5 frac - Moon too bright. Reasonable conditions last night so I decided to use the Skywatcher 150PDS with the 21mm Ethos. I pleased to say that it was nicely visible despite the Moon. Hopefully, will get a better view when the Moon is out of the way and the Comet has climbed a bit higher.

With being out for a long time meteor watching I also got to watch Jacques for a long time.

I plotted it moving between two 6th mag stars and some fainter ones from 22:30 to 02:00 and it covered

a lot of ground in that time, poss half a degree I think (Haven't measured out my plots yet as I was a tired boy and had to

be in work this morning).

It was affected by the moon, but not too much and showed the slow motion that the Solar system appears to move in

when at such vast distances.

The perseids as usual, though not a particularly quick shower, were also showing what those sort of speeds

look like when up close.

Even the moon chipped in as its phase had waned (Naked eye visibly)even in the time I was out from its rising.

Super night all told.

Mick

Finally managed to get out and have a look at this with the 12" f4 dob. Initially picked up easily by guessing where it should be and scanning the area about a third of the way from Mirphak to Capella. I used the 40mm widefield to locate (not visible to me in the finder) and then 26mm Nagler and (my favourite sketching eyepiece in most cases) the 15mm TV plossl. Obvious bright bore and wide coma but could not see a tail. Moon was on the way up too. Approx midnight 13/8-14/8. Quite happy from moist light polluted skies with a rising moon (albeit with 300mm of aperture of course).

Here are my sketches:

post-5119-0-78575000-1408004368_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-29732600-1408004382_thumb.jp

Failed to find it again last night with 16x50 bin's, can't see it from obs'y due to large conifer, hope it gets higher before it gets too dim.

Seems to be getting dimmer according to Stellarium.

Dave

Archived