My First Quark Image (ish)

Luke

Hi Solar Folks,

This morning I had a go at my first Quark imaging session (I actually took a few shots last week, but that was more to check I could get focus). I was maybe jumping the gun a bit as I have not played around with the tuning enough yet to know if I have got the tuning right or close enough. But I couldn't help myself after Robin's very good first light images last night :smiley:

Here's my first piccy from the run, inverted and with false colour. The contrast on screen was better than I was expecting, having heard quite a few comments about low contrast. Maybe that's because I normally image with a single stack scope? Anyway, I shot with my regular gamma setting. As said, the tuning may not be right, I had no time to play around with that, tuning will have to wait for when I have a long sunny slot! And I need to play around with ways to process the Quark images...

14363690007_e4c132816b_o.jpg

PS Can you see a lady at a masked ball in the image?! Hmmm, I must wear a hat next time I sit out in the Sun.... :grin:

---

1st July, 2014

Tele Vue 85, Quark, Grasshopper 3 camera (ICX687), 0.5 reducer

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I can see a Lady, but I can see a monkey in the middle.  Fantastic first image Luke.  My ED scope turned up this morning, just too late before the cloud rolled in.  It is meant to be clear this evening, if it is I will give it another go.

Robin

Oh man thats GOOD!!!!

What a tremendous image Luke. My credit card is cowering in the corner because I have a holiday to pay for but want one of those Quarks now! I have strange stirrings in my loins for a Quark on the 115mm triplet with the Lunt L60 on top for full discs.

I did not see the lady but I do see the Grinch and it looks like he swimming! Doing a back stroke. Do I need to change my meds? ;) It reminds me of Van Gogh's Starry Night. Ok,moving along, great photo! Thanks for shareing.

Thanks, all, for the kind words :smiley:

Stephen, cancel the holiday!  :grin: Sarah and I are blown away by the Quark. Possibly my favourite astro purchase ever! It's so nice when you are very excited about a product, you wait for it, and you are not disappointed.

Simon, I am still buzzing from my view with the 120mm.

Alexandra, I do not have a positive version of that one (I inverted as step 1!), but my second one is positive:

14555803461_930764524f_o.jpg

I'm not particularly interested in solar imaging but I have to say that your image is inspirational - an amazing amount of detail on show producing an almost 3D effect. I am going to look further into one of these for myself now :eek:

Where the heck does all the energy (heat) go and would this work with a Megrez 72?

Steve from what I have read if you use a scope like the Megrez 72 all you need is a UV/IR rejection cut filter. The good thing about shorter focal length fracs is you can see a complete solar disc.

All of the energy is absorbed by the Etalon and blocking filter in the Quark. The Etalon is tuned by heating so if it is sunny the sun's energy will just speed up the heating process and save on the electrical power required. This is probably why there is a maximum temperature.

For scopes of 80mm or less you don't need any rejection filters or a UV/IR filter. At 80 to 110mm a UV/IR ahead of the diagonal is all that is required. Above about 110mm you need an energy reduction filter.

The Quarks work on any refractor except oil spaced lens and refractors with integral flattening lens or focal reducers ahead of the Quark. I think your Megrez 72 would be fine. I am using mine on a Zenithstar 80mm and want to try it on a WO GT102 when I get chance.

Robin

The Quarks work on any refractor except oil spaced lens and refractors with integral flattening lens or focal reducers ahead of the Quark.

The Quark would work on these too but you would DEFINITELY need an objective ERF.

I looked through one at the IAS and most of the heat is dumped out of the front objective so it must be reflected back. A chap put his hand over the front and it was quite hot, this is why you can't use an oil spaced lens without an ERF as he said the heat could damage it. I priced one up and an ERF is far more than the price of the Quark, that kind of put me off.

Alexandra

Cor, thanks, Steve! I would love for some of you night time imaging gurus to turn your expert hand to a bit of solar imaging as well. I am thinking that, for £800, some of you might be tempted to use it in your fancy fracs (checking of course that they are compatible)?

I'm not particularly interested in solar imaging but I have to say that your image is inspirational - an amazing amount of detail on show producing an almost 3D effect. I am going to look further into one of these for myself now :eek:

Archived