Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

daveangie0110

ZWO ASI120MC Problems

Hi all

Please help I recently got a ZWO camera but I am having real problems using it. Last night was clear so I set my nexstar 6SE up in the garden, I installed all the software no problems, I went to attach the camera to my barlow lens and I couldnt , to get it to fit I had to take the little thumb screw out of the side of the camera near the lens, also there is a 1 1/4" threaded adapter in the box but there is no way that connects on to the camera.

I started firecapture and I could not even see saturn on the screen I even took the camera off and put a lens in to see if it was still in view which it was, I also tried playing with the gain, gama and exposure settings but still i could not see anything on the screen, please can anyone help me.

many thanks

Sounds like you've got the fisheye lens still attached (a bit of a pointless thing really IMO).  You need to unscrew that from the camera body.  The 1 1/4" adapter will then screw in, in the same way the fish eye lens unscrewed and it becomes a useful camera.

Edited by Joseki
  • Like 2

You need to take the lens off , it should unscrew ... Then fit the 1.25" adaptor and attach it to the scope in place of an eyepiece.

The scope becomes the lens

• Like 1

This image (from the ZWO website) may help:

instruction.jpg

James

• Like 3

Make sure you remove the whole of the lens assembly, not just the lens which will unscrew from its holder.

• Like 1

Dont worry it took me ages to work out the lens was in an adaptor. I thought it was all one piece.

Thanks everyone, I done it, I feel so stupid

Don't worry :-). You'd be amazed at some of the things I do...

You have very likely saved a lot of others from going through the same problem.

From other readings I think you may need to be careful the filter doesn't go too far down as it can damage to sensor, from the ZWO site this is either a problem or it is a problem now fixed on the latest model. So be aware in case.

I think it would be hard to damage the sensor.  Nothing I've seen gets near to it and I've fiddled about with mine a fair bit.

The pictures above look like they're from an early model such as I have.  I think later ones had a screw-in window in front of the sensor (the thread will actually take a 1.25" filter thread) and recent ones have a smaller opening and a fixed window.  Hopefully the changes should help to keep the sensor clean.  It took me ages to get mine clean and I've now fitted a window to help.

James

Hi all

I finally took some video with the camera I took about 5000 frames , but now I cannot find where the avi file is saved on my laptop, is there a default save location ?

Also I tried to use my barlow lens but found it impossible to get Saturn on my laptop screen doses anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong.

Thanks again everyone

Just do a search for .avi files and when you see one you do not recognise that consists of numbers (normally the date it was taken) right click it and click open file location then make a note of the folder name that opens. Also when you add in the Barlow you will need to re adjust the focus considerably to see the planet again and probably exposure also as some Barlows can dim the image quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by catman161

I cleaned the sensor on mine, I was a bit loathe to do it but it had something on it that was really messing up my images. Glad I did it now as it is crystal clear :)

Try turning on 2x2 binning to help find things, it drastically increases the sensitivity of the camera. Once you have it centred turn it back to normal and adjust gain / exposure to suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi again,

Doses anyone know if my video would have been saved, I done everything correct I think , once I was happy with the view on the laptop I pressed the little play button and watch the image count going up.

It should have been saved as far as I'm aware.  One of the other buttons somewhere around the record button opens the current directory used for saving files (it may be the one with the folder icon, but there's also one that shows recent capture files).  That might help you find it.  Apologies for being a bit vague.  My laptop is booted into Linux at the moment and I'm doing stuff on it.

James

• Like 1

Mine default saves in the Windows OS C: drive.

Not the most logical place but check the C: drive and look for a folder that says Moon, or Sat or something astro related. In the folder should be another folder with numbers and in that folder should be the avi.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I am going to give it another try tonight to video Saturn, i am going to shoot in black and white as i have read that you can add the color later on, and this keeps the FPS high, i also read that you can center the planet in the ROI as this keeps the FPS high as well, but you have to set the the screen size to 640 x 640 or 640 x 480 so the camera is mostly videoing the planet and not space, is there a idiots guide or a 1 2 3 on how to do this, i tried to do it last night but i found it impossible to do along with trying to get Saturn to appear on the laptop using a 2X barlow lens :mad: , D4N said turn on 2X2 binning what doses this do ?

thanks again  :grin:

I'm not sure what you mean by using black and white and adding the colour later on.  You can certainly stop the raw colour frames being demosaicked and write them to the disk that way (and it's probably better to do so), but that's not really "black and white".  You will get a mono image on the preview screen and it will probably appear somewhat "cross-hatched", but that's mostly down to the way the colour mask works.  Using FireCapture, I find it easier if I check the "debayer" option when focusing so I get proper colour image in the preview, then turn it off again before capturing.  AS!2 can then combine the pixel values during stacking to give a colour image, though it may need to be told what format the colour mask should be as I've found it's "auto" mode to be unreliable.

My recollection is that the ASI120MC can produce a pure mono frame as it's output if you configure it suitably, but I believe that's just done by converting the colour image to greyscale.  You really, really don't want that.

I'd always centre the target in the frame using the full frame size and then pull the ROI down to something like 640x480 as that will reduce the amount of data to be transferred over the USB bus and written to disk which are the real bottlenecks here.

It does take a bit of practice to get it all working together smoothly.  I'd suggest that even if the seeing isn't great, when you're starting out it's worthwhile getting out there and just practising getting the data.  Hopefully that way when the seeing is good you won't be faffing about because you're not sure what you're up to.  Be prepared to throw away a lot of data as unusable.  When I started I was ditching hours and hours worth of capture data as unsuitable whilst I got my head around the entire process and then started to become more demanding of myself.

"Binning" means combining the values of adjacent pixels into single larger "virtual" pixels.  Effectively you get greater sensitivity at the cost of resolution.  I'd really not recommend it for planetary imaging though.  Especially with a colour camera.  The last thing you really want to do in planetary imaging is throw away resolution.

James

• Like 2

Meant to add...

I'm not aware of a fairly straightforward "duffer's guide to planetary imaging".  I've done one for processing, but for actually capturing data I more or less muddled my way through.

Perhaps I should write one...

James

• Like 3

Hi James,

i sort of done this last night, i used the full resolution of the camera to find Saturn then i selected 640x640 i think but Saturn was not in the little window, i manually slewed my scope to try and get it in the window but could not find it :mad:  

If you're using FireCapture, say, do remember that by default the entire frame won't fit on a small screen, so what you think is central may well not be.  It may help to reduce the displayed image size to 75% or 50% when using the full frame size to get the image in the centre, then put it back to 100% after switching to the smaller frame size.

James

Sorry James to keep asking but when I am at full screen and Saturn is in the center of my laptop screen , if I reduce the image by 50% would it still be in the center of the camera even if it's not in the center of the smaller screen ?

The 50% button etc. just reduce the displayed size of the preview,  They don't affect anything else.  If the planet is in the centre, then it's in the centre.

James

Move the ROI window around (not sure where it is on Firecapture, I use Sharpcap) to find it