Saturn nice tonight

Laurie61

Have been out for an hour or so with my brother trying a few different lens/barlow combinations, the seeing has been good enough for 350 x. First serious test of the 6 mm delos and it has not disappointed,  used with the 300 mm f6 newt.   

Have been out for an hour or so with my brother trying a few different lens/barlow combinations, the seeing has been good enough for 350 x. First serious test of the 6 mm delos and it has not disappointed,  used with the 300 mm f6 newt.   

I have the 6mm Delos also... with the 12" Newt and decent seeing, you should be able to use a 2x Barlow and push the power up and get some great views of Saturn.

The seeing here last night was also excellent - amazing considering the partial cloud, and the rain over the last two days. I got in 30 minutes of Saturn (ED80, x160 and x240) before a large tree intervened! 

Chris

The seeing here last night was also excellent - amazing considering the partial cloud, and the rain over the last two days. I got in 30 minutes of Saturn (ED80, x160 and x240) before a large tree intervened! 

Chris

Flying trees.Will have to lookout for  

one of these tonight. :D  :glasses9:

Steve

I have the 6mm Delos also... with the 12" Newt and decent seeing, you should be able to use a 2x Barlow and push the power up and get some great views of Saturn.

My seeing last night did not stand up to that although I did try it with a 2.5 barlow (probably nearer 2 x) at 750 x (660 x ?) just to see what happened  :eek:  :grin:  Saturn was bigger but no extra detail visible and it just emphasized the atmospheric chromatic aberration. I found my TV 3 x barlow and 18 mm BGO gave the delos a run for its money, on sharpness and contrast, but the delos was a fraction ahead at the end of the session.  :smiley:  

Just saw Saturn for the first time in a few years last night, oh wow what  a sight.

It was low in the sky, just above a block of flats and hazy but still clearly made out at least 1 band on the disk, shadow on the rings, cassini division and titan. 

Also, showed my nephew Saturn for the first time, he's only 7 and he smiled and said wow :D

• 2 weeks later...

Out last night under some very thin wispy cloud, but low towards Saturn looked good.

Titan, Tethys, Dione, Rhea and a hint of Enceladus plus Cassini div. Put lots of mag to it

but it got too Fuzzy for the Enke Gap.

a satifyin g evening though, even if it's past it's best.

Mick

Archived