Narrowband

EQ3 v EQ5 for SW ED80 astrophotography?

Key

Well, I finally took the plunge on an HEQ5 and have to say very pleased. Reassuringly heavy but still manageable for assembling/moving. Still very early days for me in getting to grips with my first EQ mount but it's very sturdy so I'm hopeful of getting far better results than with my old Dob GoTo.

Thanks for all the advice - as usual there's been a wide range of opinions but it all helps.

Cheers,

Key

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be careful with the altitude adjustment bolts. The standard ones are made of a soft steel that has a tendency to bend. There are many horror stories out there of bent bolts that have to be drilled out. There are stronger replacement bolts available that will save you time, money, and trouble by replacing before the standard bolts bend.

Be careful with the altitude adjustment bolts. The standard ones are made of a soft steel that has a tendency to bend. There are many horror stories out there of bent bolts that have to be drilled out. There are stronger replacement bolts available that will save you time, money, and trouble by replacing before the standard bolts bend.

Yes, I read about that problem - thankfully the mount I bought had already been upgraded to better quality bolts. Why don't SW just use a higher grade set from the outset; it wouldn't cost them much and their customers would be a lot happier. From the ad's I've seen it's not even as if people buy the upgrades from SW so they wouldn't be losing out on sales either.

Archived