Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Dave Smith

M17 Swan Nebula in Hubble Palette

This as taken quite a few nights as firstly they are rather short and secondly the clouds have rolled in so the OIII and SII have been collected a few at a time.

It consists of 12 x 600s in Ha, 8 x 600s in OIII and SII through a Megrez 90 refractor and with an Atik 460EX mono camera. The Ha filter is Astrodon, the OIII and SII Baader.

M17-HST02.jpg

Dave

• Like 15

nice work under difficult conditions, not a lot of dark hours just now to get good data

nice work under difficult conditions, not a lot of dark hours just now to get good data

Agreed, although I probably get a little more than you in Glasgow. 2 hour maximum at the moment but there is also the weather, Thank you for commenting.

Dave

Thank Spoon and Gina.

Here is maybe a better version thanks to advice from Francis.

M17-HST03.jpg

Dave

• Like 4

Wow, like the first & love the second. Nice imaging, framing and finally very nice processing.

Steve

thats certainly brought out some more detail

Thank you Brenda, Steve and Ibbo. Much appreciated. I am pleased to get any image at this time of year.

Dave

Superb Dave,  much nicer, that little Meggy is turning out some nice stuff, the stars are lovely and tight.. 

Thanks Guy and Peter.

@Guy - Yes I am pleased with the M90, the 3nm filter certainly helps.

Dave

That's looking really nice Dave. It really does have a 3D feel in the centre. Top class :smiley:

Do like your work, Dave.

Must admit that I actually prefer the first version (then my laptop screen isn't the best - new one on the way!)

Nonetheless, kudos.

Ian

Thanks Ian. I find it makes a big difference between day and night. Just now I prefer the first one.

Dave

Low down too (unless you live on a 10 mile high mountain) so even more impressive...

That's very pleasing to the eye. Too low in the sky at my latitude. I prefer the first version. The second is too noisy for my taste. Great shot.

Thanks again Ian and thanks Chris. Maldon where I live is near the coast so no height but I do have a good Southern view. I used to have tall fir trees on my Southern border but a new neighbour came and asked whether he minded if he chopped the trees down!!! You can imagine my reaction.

Dave

That really is a beauty Dave.  It's so low down!  Personally I prefer the first process, the second has been pushed quite hard.  I've started gathering some data on this but am finding it a real struggle, nothing close to what you have managed.  Well done!

Great result Dave. I think I prefer the first process also.