SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Milky Way Rising 2014

This is a 8 panel mosaic shot the other night during a clear spell. Its great to see the Galactic centre rising above the trees again!

This image spans from the constellation of Cassiopeia on the left all the way to the red supergiant star Antares in the constellation of Scorpius. Although the skies are quite dark here, the small village over the hill towards the South does give off some light pollution most nights. In this image it has worked quite well in combination with the clouds.

Eposure Details:

8* 20 seconds, f3.5, ISO 3200

Taken with a Canon 1100D at 18mm.

gallery_26473_3241_45598.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Martin, thanks!

The image is made up of 8 images in a row, each taken with the DSLR orientated in 'portrait' rather than 'landscape'. I did do a second row of 8 for above the milky way arch but couldnt get them to stitch properly, glad they didnt now!

And no, each panel was a single 20 exposure  :smiley:

Hi Happykat,

That spiral or smudge is M31 - the Andromeda galaxy! You can also make out the double cluster a bit further to the left and up a bit. I'm thinking about making a expanded view of this image tomorrow, inlaying some of the DSOs i've taken. I'll post it up here if i get around to it.

Hey Mark, 

I am quite chuffed with it  :grin: i have attempted similar images in the past, mainly when i first started AP a couple years ago but they never turned out this well. I guess thats how ya know you are making progress! Although i never really do anything other than DSO imaging nowadays, like i said before its nice to get back to the simple stuff every now and then.

Oh and yes, the kit 18-55mm and tripod. Looking back on it i should of used my modded DSLR. But theres always next time!

Hi Knight and Pete

Its much easier than you might think!

For anyone wanting to try a similar image, just take your exposures - making sure they all over lap each other a little bit. For this image i had the DSLR on a ball head in a portrait orientation. After each exposure i moved the ball head at the base not the DSLR on the ball head arm.  This way i was guaranteed all the images were in a perfect straight line with each other making the stitching easier for the software. Take all images in RAW. The last two points i made are things i never did in the past for this kind of image.

Then all you do is drop the images into some software called Microsoft ICE. Its free and will do an excellent stitch most of the time. You then just play around until looks right. Post processing is also very important obviously. Thats where shooting in RAW comes in handy. I actually made a star layer in this image which i've only ever done in deep sky images. It worked well here to control the abundance of stars and make the Milky Way itself stand out.

And no darks or flats were used for this.

I should also add that i tried this image with the trees light painted also. Not a good idea as you guaranteed that you will be able to see the joins between panels. Light painting is great for single images though and you could probably get away with it in an image like this if you had a very large light shining on all the trees constantly while you shoot.

Heres the expanded version with a few of my DSOs. Thought it would look a bit better but it was quite hard to fit them in and make it look reasonable. Had to leave quite a few out!

gallery_26473_3241_328960.jpg

Thanks for the very kind words folks  :grin: its nice to get feedback and know you are improving

Yes it is happykat, well spotted! It was hard to get all the orientations spot on so they are not all 100% accurate. I left the blue horsey head like that purely because it looks more like a horse head that way haha. The horse head image itself is probably my least favorite of the lot, its a bit of a mess. I would love to re image it this year now that i have guiding and know what i'm doing! But unfortunately i just received my first scope so the 200mm lens might not get much chance to play for a while.

Thanks! I was surprised the kit 18-55mm could do this well. But yes, a lot of it does come down to little tricks in PS. When ever i star working on an image in PS i almost always think its going to go no where but theres a point where it suddenly starts to take shape. Usually for me its when i start working with a star layer, so that is my suggestion to you! :)

Archived