SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Obsy approved N Yorks

Owmuchonomy

Ok, so I have the approval of the other half to mess up the garden borders. I am now starting planning stuff. One option for me is to buy the obsy from Ian King Imaging. I'd be interested if anyone can feedback on their build quality/ service? If you prefer to PM me then that's fine. Many thanks.

Which one from Ian King is it you're looking at? I see theres a few on the website. I'm eyeing up a pulsar done at the moment :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've decided pretty much on a RoRo shed type to butt up against my standard shed. Just contemplating if I can stretch to a warm room or not.

I built a small Obby just for viewing no warm room, have been using it for around a year and a warm room may just get added, your not always viewing there's EQMod, Stellerium, Sky Maps all this would be better done under a roof, no dew to worry about, If your not sure then try to plan that you could add a warm room...Good luck with what ever you choose......

I built a small Obby just for viewing no warm room, have been using it for around a year and a warm room may just get added, your not always viewing there's EQMod, Stellerium, Sky Maps all this would be better done under a roof, no dew to worry about, If your not sure then try to plan that you could add a warm room...Good luck with what ever you choose......

Yes, I'm thinking like you. Do you know much about the company in your neck of the woods - Home Observatory UK?

• 4 months later...

Ok, it's been a few months but I've actually made a start! During clearance I noticed my existing shed is rotten down one side. This means I'm going bigger and planning a RoRo Obsy with a rather large warm room come workshop. My builder wants the shed in part payment. So I've got a couple of quotes. Just to prove I've done some manual labour:

post-35542-0-08502100-1416577219_thumb.j

Above: Old hard stand cleared to make an alternative border to keep my other half happy. Also provides hardcore for the base.

post-35542-0-66557600-1416577240_thumb.j

Above: Old border to become hard stand.

The hedge is on my NW boundary and the neighbour is also a bit of an astronomer. So the obsy will roll off to the right, that is NE and I will have a drop down side on my SE side.

Next step is to clear my shed of junk and get it moved.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok after 2 days of clearing out my shed it is ready to be taken down. I plan on doing that tomorrow and I'll take a picture of the whole site. I can't wait to have a more permanent set up. The amount of set up time it should save will be a treat in itself. As a back up I'm going to lay a trench from my office to the warm room for possible future cabling. Anybody got any advice on what type of trunking to lay underground for data cables ( I already have power in place).

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got a break in the weather to do some stuff.

Here is the footing for the obsy looking to the warm room end. Pipe laid for alarm and data cables.

post-35542-0-75620800-1420034924_thumb.j

This is the hole for the pier approx 900 cu mm

post-35542-0-62739500-1420034926_thumb.j

Then; the 'emperor's chair'... my home made device made from an old fence to drop over the hole and shutter a concrete pier 700 sq mm that remains separate from the solid base and with a 900 sq mm 'foot'.

post-35542-0-89105000-1420034928_thumb.j

post-35542-0-74082200-1420034930_thumb.j

Unfortunately the festive period and heavy frosts here have put paid to further progress.

• 3 months later...

Apologies but in my excitement at being able to use my new obsy A LOT thanks to loads of clear skies I forgot to post pictures.  I built the footings etc with my mate from the village.

Immense thanks to Neil et al at Home Farm for a stonking job.  I hope they can keep HF going.

East view from obsy end showing step down to warm room.

post-35542-0-34283900-1428838168_thumb.j

Warm room end built on step down gives me about 6'1" height inside.

post-35542-0-83247600-1428838164_thumb.j

Guard Cat views the obsy end 8' sq with roof off.

post-35542-0-87047200-1428838162_thumb.j

Inside the obsy with the Lunt 50. My daughters came up with the idea to paint inside with blackboard paint.  It has already been decorated by friends and visitors with their images and words.

post-35542-0-33115400-1428838160_thumb.j

Archived