SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

North America nebula: what should I see?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to get a UHC filter by the sound of it. Excuse the dumb question, but could you name some other deep-sky objects it would (or would not) be useful for? I still get confused about what's what in nebulae in terms of viewing ... Ie emission nebulae v other kinds.

Incidentally I tried to see the North America last night in clear skies, but nothing. I will persevere. 

FWIW, I found it a few times last year with my 130p. The 'central america' bit was the most obvious (and, in fact, pretty clear). I found a Baader UHC-s filter did help. However, I couldn't fit the whole thing in the field of view - I had to sweep around it, and the 'pacific northwest' just sort of faded out, rather than having a definite edge. That was with a 30mm eyepiece, for a field of view of about 2.2 degrees.

Thanks for that link... Will take a close look at it for future reference.

As an update I looked for the NA nebula again last night through my 15x70s and my ST120 with   a 34mm EP. But no joy. I was looking at some black, seemingly starless patches and I 'sense' it was around there... At least part of it. I will carry on with my quest!

I did have nice, though very small, views of M3, M13, a very faint (in my 24mm) M51 and an incredibly faint M101. Isn't it strange how the tiny faint smudge of a DSO like M101 or M51 suddenly becomes apparent, almost subliminally?

Thanks for that link... Will take a close look at it for future reference.

As an update I looked for the NA nebula again last night through my 15x70s and my ST120 with   a 34mm EP. But no joy. I was looking at some black, seemingly starless patches and I 'sense' it was around there... At least part of it. I will carry on with my quest!

Me too, last night, tho with 30mm, little Starblast & 15x70s. Nix nada, tho I had that 'sense' you had, like someone breathing over my shoulder, almost there, but....

As you say, the search...onward! :)

It's a tricky customer. Dark transparent skies and good dark adaptation are the key.

I tried last night with the Genesis and UHC but could not see it, or the Veil. Skies just not good enough. When you do get it though it's quite obvious as a bright nebula. I think the dark areas may have been the 'gulf' or that edge which seems to have fewer stars in that area.

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this sounds like a fab challenge - one of them tantalisingly close, but not close enough, is it there or am i "subconciously imagining it" type objects! Definitely going to give this one a go when i;m next out.

Finally...after a bit of scoping, sky not amazingly dark yet, pick up the 15x70 Revelations, swing down a bit from Deneb &, yes! I see the 'Gulf of Mexico'...phew! Seemed so obvious once I clocked it. Then had to pop in the flat for a minute, came back out, nix nada! Think it was eyes not skies tho....

Not to worry, back out in a bit and wait for my eyes to go owlish....

Yippee! First nebula! Apart from Orion o course ;)

I have always used UHC on the North America Nebula, O-III works, but not as well as UHC

I have both filters, but reading through the thread i see its visible from dark skies with bins. All i have with me in the new house right now is 10x50 bins. I can quickly get my 20x90 bins and tripod. However, the bins are unable to have filters added. 

Long question,short: Can it be seen throught bins at a dark sky without any filters?. I'd love to see it.

I have access to miles upon miles of dark rural land/ skies about a 5 minute stroll from my house. I'm right on the edge of civilisation here and after that its just open countryside and cows and sheep and foxes,badgers,rabbits,pheasants etc etc.

And farmers with shotguns,LOL

Others will have much more authoritative answers I'm sure, but given that I was able to make out the Gulf area with bins, & not a fantastically dark sky I would have thought it is possible. Bear in mind tho, 5 minutes later I couldn't see it again for the life of me!

But when I did see it, it leapt put at me, almost. Why oh why did I look away! I need more carrots...

Others will have much more authoritative answers I'm sure, but given that I was able to make out the Gulf area with bins, & not a fantastically dark sky I would have thought it is possible. Bear in mind tho, 5 minutes later I couldn't see it again for the life of me!

But when I did see it, it leapt put at me, almost. Why oh why did I look away! I need more carrots...

Going on that description, i am confident that with bins i will be able to make out parts (the dark parts) with bins. When i observed the Rosette Nebula area with bins or unfiltered scope i could plainly see dark areas in that region that i knew were the boundries of the Rosette. I'm thinking the same kind of thing is visible with the NA nebula (the darker outer boundries).

When i have my 8 inch scope to hand and my UHC,OIII filters it will be a different story.

Seemed to me, the nebula bits were the light parts. Maybe I am frolicking up the wrong tree then? In which case, I didn't see nuttin. Sigh...

Without a UHC or OIII filter, the dark parts are the parts that let you know you are on target. Often the dark outline is your best guide. Its like looking at it in the negative.

The very first time i observed The Rosette (un-filtered), all i saw was dark blank areas around a group of stars i knew where in the nebula. but i KNEW there was something there. The filters (oiii) made the nebula visible.

Yes, that's just how I see these big faint nebs. It seems like you are just looking at the sky but then you come to an edge where the 'sky' is darker again.

Seemed to me, the nebula bits were the light parts. Maybe I am frolicking up the wrong tree then? In which case, I didn't see nuttin. Sigh...

The nebula is bright rather than dark so it's like you did see it. As Paul says, it is framed by the darker areas.

It needs good transparency and dark skies to see, so nice one that you got it!

The trouble with the NA neb is the rich star cloud it's in. This is very easy to confuse for the nebula. One must be carefull that it is the nebula that one is observing.

When using bins you can always 'blink' your filter in between the eyepiece and your eye. Or try just holding the filter up against your naked eye without the bins. If your site is dark enough and your eyes well dark adapted it really is that simple.

I've tried a filter up unaided and have never been successful in seeing anything with just one eye. But with doing filter comparisons, I reckon holding a UHC over one eye and an OIII over the other, like filter-bins may do the trick :)

I may have an advantage Rik. I have a lazy eye. Not sure if it's truly any help but you never know. Holding the filter to my dominant eye has done it for me countless times.

It's something I always try at a dark site to see just how transparent the sky is. From Elan valley no filter was needed. One simply looked up and there it was. I could confirm its position by using my O-III filter.

I've been trying for the veil with just the filter alone a few times......no luck yet. Looking forward to getting back to Elan valley to try though. If it can be done, this is the place to do it.

The rosette is another large object that may be doable with a filter alone and is another target I'm going to try for this year.

Remember surface brightness of extended objects does not go up when using a scope. If it's big enough, you'll see it.

Archived