Starsense and Hand-Control (Aux) Splitter

I've just bought a Starsense and found that I also need a splitter (CG-5 GoTo mount) - will a standard RJ-11 splitter suffice, or is the £25 Celestron version required?

You can try a standard splitter, it might work,  but some CG5's need the Celestron one, dpending on the hardware version in the mount - For some versions I think it needs to do something clever as well as splitting the port.

You're correct Tony, the cheap RJ-11 splitter gave an error but the expensive Celestron offering works :)

I wish I knew what was inside these splitters. I'm sure I could make one for under a tenner. Probably wouldn't be able to sell them as I might get a call from Celestron's legal team.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had this problem too with my Cg5, and was astonished by the price tag for the modified spliiter to make the cg5 Asgt work with starsense.  I contacted Celestron Customer services via their website and complained -- first about originally marketing starsense units that didn't work as sold with cg5 asgt mounts and a  standard 6p6c splitter, and second about the unbelievable price in the uk for the solution to the problem.

Following that I was most kindly supplied with a  modified splitter cable at no cost, except the import duty to the UK came as a surprise at the door, and was still a significant amount of money!

Not particularly impressed with the cable either. It works, but its not pretty. There appear to be a couple of extra components in line in the cable, covered with heatshrink.  Not good, hardly professional, especially for the price.  Id make my own neater solution if I knew what was buried in the cable, but that info isn't public as far as I can see.

I had this problem too with my Cg5, and was astonished by the price tag for the modified spliiter to make the cg5 Asgt work with starsense. I contacted Celestron Customer services via their website and complained -- first about originally marketing starsense units that didn't work as sold with cg5 asgt mounts and a standard 6p6c splitter, and second about the unbelievable price in the uk for the solution to the problem.

Following that I was most kindly supplied with a modified splitter cable at no cost, except the import duty to the UK came as a surprise at the door, and was still a significant amount of money!

Not particularly impressed with the cable either. It works, but its not pretty. There appear to be a couple of extra components in line in the cable, covered with heatshrink. Not good, hardly professional, especially for the price. Id make my own neater solution if I knew what was buried in the cable, but that info isn't public as far as I can see.

It's probably a pair of diodes but I dont recommend taking it apart to find out !!

Well...I have ordered from T-E.DE

Received the splitter today with many thanks and a small bag of sweets ! :)

And surprise...all working fine.

Ran a full "twice" system upgrade with Celestron software and...waiting for the clouds to run away ! :(

Not happening so far...going to bed and I will try tomorrow !

Keep you posted...

I don't know how to edit my post above, sorry!

Here is the latest version of software as per upgrade utility:

StarSense HC  StarSense HC on Link: SERIAL using Portal: SERIAL_PORT called COM1
Boot Version = 2.0.4078

StarSense Accessory Camera  Device: StarSense Accessory Camera on Link: PTE_SERIAL using portal: SSA camera
App version = 1.2.13343

Archived