Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cloud

astro mick

Clear skies last night and this morning for the first time in many weeks, unfortunately too knackered from work to use them as I'd have to stay up too late for it to get dark enough.  Annoying that I can't do solar either because I have to go to work today.  Grrr.

Cloud,Cloud,Cloud.

Nothing but endless cloud.Weeks of this.

Give me strength.

Mick.

Mick, i so feel your pain......................i`m sitting here thinking "an add for 90% of my astro gear" never known it so bad.......................Oh for one good clear night when i dont have to get up early for work

I  never trust our local forecasts, invariably they get it wrong.

Not sure how much has been spent on technogy aids for weather prediction, but

it doesn't seem to have been a good investment.

Ron.

Its been overcast but dry here all day.

I've been up on seafront a couple of times and noticed how clear the air is. Can't see any blue sky but the view across Morecambe Bay to the Lakeland fells was superb.

I could also make out Snaefell on the Isle of Man sixty odd miles away and now partly obscured by the huge offshore wind farm that's still expanding.

I've seen the IOM many times but it's usually at sunset when it can be seen almost mirage like on the horizon.

But today it was 5pm when I spotted it. I got the bins out of the car and had a look. There was another peak visible on closer inspection.

So it must be very clear air at sea level for such a view.

What annoys me are forecasts that start optimistic and gradually deteriorate during the day until late evening when it becomes clear that it's going to be cloudy all night. Like today in fact. :(

ChrisH

Bang on.

I've given up for another month or so.

Even without clouds, it never really gets dark enough till 2am or so.... long past my bedtime!

Yep- barely worth setting at this time of year. Time to do scope maintenance jobs like flocking etc.

I must admit that this is the worst spell of poor seeing conditions I have experienced since taking up the hobby :shocked: Luckily I have the solar scope to help ease the situation, having said that even solar observing has been limited to 30 minute spells recently.

I think though maybe it keeps us enthused with the hobby that anticipation of waiting for that perfectly clear sky all night long yippee!.I,m sure if we had clear nights every night it be a case of "I,ve had my scope out five times this week I can,t be bothered I,m to tired"

I think though maybe it keeps us enthused with the hobby that anticipation of waiting for that perfectly clear sky all night long yippee!.I,m sure if we had clear nights every night it be a case of "I,ve had my scope out five times this week I can,t be bothered I,m to tired"

Personally, I'd rather observe/image when I want to not when the weather allows. I've a very strong feeling that this anticipation theory was formulated in the uk :).

No offense intended,but are you insane.

Archived