SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Deep Sky Stacker not stacking all frames?

8udazysy.jpg

Hi all I took 23 light frames last night but DSS is only stacking 9 of them? Any idea why this is?

Star detection went from over 1000 at 94% to no stars at 95% so had to go with over 1000 stars when I usually try with about a detection of 50.

I've had this before as well

only 26 out of 40 frames stacked, it seemed to reject subs that scored low

when I had it set at "Stack 90%"

It feels most disappointing! Like all that time spending capturing 23 frames when it only uses 9?!!

Changed star detection threshold back down to 50% and 4000 stars and now it's stacking all 23!

If possible try and aim for about a 50~60 star count, the slider is there to help DSS avoid registering on noise rather than star, you should also be merciless with bad subs, rubbish in rubbish out. Unless you are stacking very short subs it is highly unlikely that all the subs are of acceptable quality, you can ask DSS to calculate off sets first and then look at the scores and the FWHM and the Skyback ground % values , select the best subs and then examine these in the preview for tracking errors, eggy stars,  etc, once you have cleaned up the junk then set the % slider to stack 100%. If you end up with about 20+ subs use Sigma Clipping if not the good old Average method will give you the best S/N ratio. Hope you find this useful.

Good luck and clear skies,

A.G

If possible try and aim for about a 50~60 star count, the slider is there to help DSS avoid registering on noise rather than star, you should also be merciless with bad subs, rubbish in rubbish out. Unless you are stacking very short subs it is highly unlikely that all the subs are of acceptable quality, you can ask DSS to calculate off sets first and then look at the scores and the FWHM and the Skyback ground % values , select the best subs and then examine these in the preview for tracking errors, eggy stars, etc, once you have cleaned up the junk then set the % slider to stack 100%. If you end up with about 20+ subs use Sigma Clipping if not the good old Average method will give you the best S/N ratio. Hope you find this useful.

Good luck and clear skies,

A.G

Thanks so much for the response! Noted it all for next time!

Archived