Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 7000

johnrt

Even at the latitudes of Northern Kent there's still enough darkness for a couple of hours imaging around the summer solstice, and what with the last 12 months weather why waste it?

This is my first colour narrowband image from the Atik 460ex, it's taken quite a few months, but now I have eliminated the poor star shapes at the corners, resolved flex shown up by the higher imaging resolution and generally mucked around - I'm ready to get down to some serious imaging with this camera.

This is a bi-colour image of Ha & OIII shot over several nights in June, adding up to just a little over 7 hours exposure time. The heavy lifting was done in Pixinsight and the fancy stuff in CS5.

As always the 6"RC is the imaging scope, with the Atik 460ex gathering the photons.

I hope you like, it feels like an age since I last completed an image. :)

14464496414_fab73e441e_b.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Chris & Carole. I was thinking of a mosaic project for a wall print, perhaps IC 1396, but it feels a little foolish to embark on such a project with the short nights and rubbish weather.

Nicely processed, how did you manage to get that colour scheme without Ha red dominance? (blend part of the Ha with OIII?)

Very subtle, I like.

The Ha is mapped to red, OIII to blue and a blend of the 2 in the green channel. The 460ex is very sensitive in OIII which helps find a balance with the strong Ha signal.

The Ha is mapped to red, OIII to blue and a blend of the 2 in the green channel. The 460ex is very sensitive in OIII which helps find a balance with the strong Ha signal.

Ahhh I see. Its along the lines of the Cannistra method? Thanks John, I will take another look at it. Ive tried the method before a couple of years ago, but didnt get very far - now ive had a little practice with Ps I will try again once I get some OIII on my current project (IC1396).

WOW a truly beautiful image John, fantastic..... Obviously i'm massivly jealous & hate you right now but its still a great image :grin:

Aww how can you hate on John? He's such a cuddly bundle of imaging goodness kind of chap :D even if he does put most of us to shame with just a lil 6" RC...

Wow!  This shot has such fine detail in it,the "ancient warrior riding the vaporous viper popped right out at me". Lower left is the viper's head,midway along it's back is the head of the warrior,eye,nose,chin,mouth a high crested hemet and long flowing hair. His expression seems a bit anguished. I absolutely love this image. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Wow!  This shot has such fine detail in it,the "ancient warrior riding the vaporous viper popped right out at me". Lower left is the viper's head,midway along it's back is the head of the warrior,eye,nose,chin,mouth a high crested hemet and long flowing hair. His expression seems a bit anguished. I absolutely love this image. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I do actually see what your describing, kind of :)

Archived