Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PST or LUNT? Help please

Hello all,

firstly I have no experience of solar observing at all, other than lying on a beach on holidays. However, I have been fascinated with the images that are posted on this site daily looking at the sun in Ha.

So I have decided I am getting a solar scope. I don't need a huge fancy all singing all dancing one but I would like to be able to see the whole sun in through the eyepiece and use higher magnification for closer study of interesting areas. I believe you can use normal eyepieces (please correct me if I am wrong).

So after some google searching and reading lots of reviews I think either the Corona PST or a Lunt (either the 35mm model or the new 50mm when it comes out).

Without wishing to throw a grenade into the crowd asking this question can anyone with experience on the subject please let me know your thoughts. I worry about the problems that plagued the early PST models and I have read great things about the Lunt 35mm. If I go Lunt should I wait for the 50mm scope? or will the 35mm scope be sufficient to my needs. Also, is the PST actually better / different.

Basically if someone can chime in on the differences or pros / cons of either. Also whether I need bigger apperture for such a bright object. 

Thanks.

Hi Charlie,

I have a lunt 60 and having looked through quite a few psts I would say the views are greatly enhanced with the additional aperture.

Therefore if you can afford it I would recommend you hang on and get the Lunt 50.

It will be fine on your eq3 mount.

I have to say I have also been very impressed with the Lunt build quality and general feel.

Good luck with your choice!

+1 for the Lunt 50. The Sun may be bright, but more aperture also gives you more resolving power. Given the price of the Lunt 50 and that it has pressure tuning, the Lunt 50 looks worth the extra to me if budget allows.

I have a SolarMax 60mm and have looked through some very nice PSTs and Lunts, but not a Lunt 50 yet.

+1 for the Lunt.

Even though I cannot comment on the specific models you mention (I have the 60PT) thebuild quality is top notch. The extra aperture is always going to be of benefit.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

never looked throu a PST but recently bought the Lunt 35 & am more than happy with the views its given me, its the delux version with the B600 blocking filter, 12mm eyepeice, rings, dovetail & a small finder. found that the best eyepeice in it is my 15mm plossl gives a slightly smaller view than the 12mm but gives a better whole disk view i think. not tried imaging with it yet thou.

never looked throu a PST but recently bought the Lunt 35 & am more than happy with the views its given me, its the delux version with the B600 blocking filter, 12mm eyepeice, rings, dovetail & a small finder. found that the best eyepeice in it is my 15mm plossl gives a slightly smaller view than the 12mm but gives a better whole disk view i think. not tried imaging with it yet thou.

The 15mm Plossl is my favourite EP in my PST as well.

I am not into photography at the moment. I think Lunt is definitely the way to go based on all the commentary here.

I think I will hold off to see the first light reports on the new Lunt 50 when some of the good folk on here get their hands on it.

I've been delighted with my PST, it's given me some amazing views. I assume it is a 'good one', as I get lovely granulation and surface detail, as well as the prominences. The sweet spot is definitely there, but you learn to work within it. Having said that, if I had looked through a scope without a sweet spot I may feel differently.

If I were buying now, I would definitely wait until the Lunt 50 is available and first reviews are out, it sounds like a great scope, and a very good price.

Stu

I have PST and like it very much. Never had a chance to have a look through a Lunt.

The issue with "corroded" coatings on the PST is limited to early versiosn and does not occur anymore. It is depending on your budget and choice between a 35, 40 or 50 mm objectives.

Archived