SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stellarium and Guiding using one wire?

Spoon

Hi,

I want to run Stellarium and PHD using the same wire that plugs into the hand controller as my mount doesn't support pulse guiding apparently. 

I have downloaded ASCOM but i dont know if i have downloaded the right one or how to use it in general. Anyone got any ideas on how i can run both stellarium and PHD Guiding using the same wire?

Thanks,

Cam

• 2 weeks later...

ASCOM is a set of standard interfaces that allows software to talk to hardware - scopes, focusers, cameras, domes, rotators etc..... You don't 'use' it as such, the software you are using uses the ASCOM interface. Make sure you use the downloads page on the ASCOM site to get the latest version - http://ascom-standards.org/Downloads/Index.htm - version 6.1

You need to get both PHD and Stellarium to use ASCOM as the communications method. To do this with PHD, select the ASCOM as the interface for the mount - can't remember the exact option, but it might be 'On Mount' or something similar. Then you select the ASCOM options for your mount.

I can't help with Stellarium, but it will be a similar process...

• 3 weeks later...

Whether your mount supports pulse guiding or not is not really up to the mount itself, but rather to which ASCOM driver you use. You need to install ASCOM Platform 6 SPx (the latest version available) and then find an ASCOM driver for your mount. Stellarium can talk to an ASCOM-controlled mount by means of StellarumScope which is available for free, as correctly stated above.

This territory that you need to get to get acquainted with as it forms the base of most stuff related to astro-photography and PCs. It takes some getting used to but this forum will help you get along - fire away with the questions...

/er

Archived