Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn from 11.6.14. 4fps :-(

NorrinRadd

Thought I'd share this which was taken with my mono "guide cam" QHY5-ll.

The frames per sec was awful especially in green and blue where it was 3/4 fps. Cropped to half size filled the sensor nicely but soooo slow in fps , with a "safe" gain setting.

I tried binning it but any gain just gives out nasty wave artefacts all over the images so whilst it may look ok I find the stacking is just a mess or yuk !

So I resorted to using half frame at 60% gain. The QHY drops off massively if you attempt to drop below 60% ie you might as well just use 20% as there does not appear to be a smooth sensitivity reaction for this.

Anyway the results were "banded" or images with horizontal gain lines all over them, which have been reduced thank fully and much to my surprise.

So this was the outcome. I can't help feeling a faster and more sensitive cam would have delivered a better fps.

C11, 2.7x Barlow. QHY 5-ll mono , Apx 400 frames per channel , as not much to cherry pick from.

post-19615-0-08129900-1402939663_thumb.j

Thanks guys . I'm waiting for delivery of a new point grey cam, due any day now, hopefully enough time to grab at least one more session between the clouds...otherwise I'll have to wait for Jupiter later I the year , and practice on the moon.

Thought I'd share this which was taken with my mono "guide cam" QHY5-ll.

The frames per sec was awful especially in green and blue where it was 3/4 fps. Cropped to half size filled the sensor nicely but soooo slow in fps , with a "safe" gain setting.

I tried binning it but any gain just gives out nasty wave artefacts all over the images so whilst it may look ok I find the stacking is just a mess or yuk !

So I resorted to using half frame at 60% gain. The QHY drops off massively if you attempt to drop below 60% ie you might as well just use 20% as there does not appear to be a smooth sensitivity reaction for this.

Anyway the results were "banded" or images with horizontal gain lines all over them, which have been reduced thank fully and much to my surprise.

So this was the outcome. I can't help feeling a faster and more sensitive cam would have delivered a better fps.

C11, 2.7x Barlow. QHY 5-ll mono , Apx 400 frames per channel , as not much to cherry pick from.

Hi Nice image. Having not used the camera I cant really comment properly. But it has been mentioned the camera is quite sensitive. Was transparency really bad. I can get 60 fps on green, with a 300 p at about 50 % Histo if I remember, though gain was very high.

Hi Nice image. Having not used the camera I cant really comment properly. But it has been mentioned the camera is quite sensitive. Was transparency really bad. I can get 60 fps on green, with a 300 p at about 50 % Histo if I remember, though gain was very high.

This is why I was surprised as the camera is supposed to be fairly sensitive ( which is why I bought it as a guide cam) and with small ROIs of 200x200 it can bang out 40 fps on a bright Mars, however it really seem to struggle in all channels on the dim Saturn. I am getting histo of 18-25% maximum on RGB and IR so this really affects my colour.

I might be that the f27 is killing it too much but the pixel ratio is supposed to be best around size 6-9 say and the qhy has a 5.2 I think. I am waiting for a point grey black fly with a pixel size 4 with a view to binning it to 8 in the hope this solves the issue.

I am a bit of a novice with RGB imaging and I can't seem to get the histo performance everyone else seems to quote at 50% plus and no where near the choice of 60fps which is why I think the f27 is where I differ ?

I'll take a look at the QE spec in blue for the QHY, I wonder if it's super low ! Lol

Its a good shot for this low elevation. Not having used the camera its hard for me to tell why your frame rates could be going down that low. I can only think transparency is bad. if trans is better one night experiment to see if your exposure allows higher frame rates under better transparency. Is all I can suggest. others that are using this cam should know more, hopefully you will get some more tips. its a good image for sure. But with better frame rates it could be even better still

Archived