Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Arduino Ascom focuser Mark2

tekkydave

I too have the problem of wanting to do high speed capture, not particularly for planetary though that is in my thoughts for the future, but for solar Ha imaging where the same applies.  I have an Ethernet feed to my observatory and 1Gbps capability so could capture what amounts to video indoors.  Alternatively a USB3 computer of some sort in the observatory could be used for capture.  There are several Linux based image capture applications.  KStars/Ekos/INDI will certainly control domes.  There is another micro-computer board like the RPi that has USB3 - forget it's name ATM.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gina said:

I too have the problem of wanting to do high speed capture, not particularly for planetary though that is in my thoughts for the future, but for solar Ha imaging where the same applies.  I have an Ethernet feed to my observatory and 1Gbps capability so could capture what amounts to video indoors.  Alternatively a USB3 computer of some sort in the observatory could be used for capture.  There are several Linux based image capture applications.  KStars/Ekos/INDI will certainly control domes.  There is another micro-computer board like the RPi that has USB3 - forget it's name ATM.

I will definitely run in some fibre when I pull in the permanent power feed, so this will be an option.   I shall have a dig around re other RPi like boards, but nothing cheaper than what you already have and quite happy to run my laptop headless, with control back in the house - It might even be easier to run this with a remote KVM extender and I can switch this with my home desktop inside in the warm!

• Like 1

I'm currently building a traveling setup based on a Pine64 ~ Rock64, which has more than enough grunt to run everything under Indi\Kstars...

I also see that they are about to release a newer version which has even more of everything https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=61454, all in a very neat package. Granted its more expensive than a Pi3 but everything, including image control will run on the one board.

• Like 2

I'm hoping the current ROCK64 at about twice the price of an RPi should be adequate for my Ha solar imaging rig, capturing images from a ZWO ASI174MM camera at something like 100fps and for remote control of mount, focus and etalon tuning using INDI drives at the scope and KStars/Ekos indoors on my Linux Mint desktop machine.

Have you got the Rock64 running the INDI drivers Julian?

Yes it runs everything, including Kstars, which means I only need to Xrdp to the system to control & run, so that I only need to run power & network to the mount....

The picture shows the 64 on the right and its 250GB disk (for picture temp storage) next to it, then a USB3 hub.

I found a neat mounting solution on Thingiverse, where all the items are fitted to individual carriers onto a standard  DIN rail (the rail found in fuse boxes etc.) which I'm finding a lot easier to mount & test before fitting into its final enclosure.

Rock64.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Go for it, I'd also recommend getting either a 32 or 64 GB eMMC module, or even stretching to the SSD module for booting & keeping the software on, no need for fiddly micro SD cards.

And it runs on 12volts......

• Like 1

Be interesting to see a report in say 3 months time after some real time testing - for me especially any Canon DSLR connections that work for long exposures as I notice you have(had) DSLR 350d/600d/1100d .  

What OS dist are you using ?

• Like 1

Ubuntu Mate on the Rock, but I'm not using a DSLR, but ASI1600MM & 120MM cameras. It's a real frig switching stuff around at the mo when the weather is soooo good & I've got everything setup on my garden pier & working fine (its a Win10\SGPro\PHD2 etc.) 

I use the ASI1600MM-Cool for DSO imaging, ASI185MC with DIY cooler for all sky camera and ASI174MM for Ha solar.  Currently using Ubuntu Mate on RPi 3 for imaging.

2 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Ubuntu Mate on the Rock, but I'm not using a DSLR, but ASI1600MM & 120MM cameras. It's a real frig switching stuff around at the mo when the weather is soooo good & I've got everything setup on my garden pier & working fine (its a Win10\SGPro\PHD2 etc.) 

That's why I wont move although someone else on here shows a Canon 700d working but the last time I tried it (4mths ago) Canon Indi support was too flaky BUT may think about doing it for my ZWO camera. Thanks for the info I shall look forward to an update when you go live !!!!

Gina there is a 5ghz dongle for the Rock hats supplied by Pine !

Edited by stash_old

Yeah, DSLR's use GPhoto which is a generic driver, which is trying to be all things to all DSLR cameras, not a good solution, unless your camera happens to fit....

The ZWO support, on the other hand, is very good, & when I've had the chance to connect everything together, all has worked flawlessly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Yeah, DSLR's use GPhoto which is a generic driver, which is trying to be all things to all DSLR cameras, not a good solution, unless your camera happens to fit....

The ZWO support, on the other hand, is very good, & when I've had the chance to connect everything together, all has worked flawlessly.

Wouldn't be so bad if Indy had a Windows Client then perhaps the Canon Dslr issue would be solved by using DSLR on Windows Mini but I suspect it would be too slow as Virtualhere(linux connects to DSLR via VirtualHere server)  is but at least the latter works every time just too slow on RAW images.

I've not tried or even closely looked into running MinWin on even Win10 IoT core.

These are very cut down versions of windows targeted at doing specific jobs, but they are rumoured to be able to do most things their big brother can, and will run on non-Intel platforms. Even if it was just able to act as DSLR camera client to the Indi master server, then it may  be worth looking at, but I suspect that it wouldn't work as most of the graphics sub system is missing...

@Dr_Ju_ju How much RAM would you recommend in a Rock 64, Julian?  1, 2 or 4GB available at increasing prices.  I don't want to skimp but OTOH not pay for memory I'm not going to use.

Edited by Gina

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...