Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Plastic Pig Obsy

Fish

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked out how much room the scope needed when parked horizontally and made the pier as high as possible leaving about 50mm clearance measured from the side walls, not the roof apex, as the shed is only six by six the sides restrict how low you can observe so the higher you start of the better.

My telescopic pier raises the scope another 300mm.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

This looks really neat! I think I would like to replace my current shelter (http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/207605-telescope-shelter/) for something like this. The wife has approved but I will have to wait a bit. I'm wondering if you could let me know if you are having issues with condensation and if so, how are you dealing with this?

• 2 weeks later...

Alex the height of my pier is 51" to the top . (sorry for the delayed reply)

For my C8 that height has been spot on for observing and storage. I have now swaped scopes to my long refractor so will see how it goes.

post-840-0-45452100-1418575171_thumb.jpg

post-840-0-58919200-1418575220_thumb.jpg

Alex the height of my pier is 51" to the top . (sorry for the delayed reply)

For my C8 that height has been spot on for observing and storage. I have now swaped scopes to my long refractor so will see how it goes.

Cheers Keith

Thats just what i needed to know I have a C8

Alex

• 9 months later...

Well the pig is one year old , it has been 12 months of joy . Pleased to report that after 12 months of use nothing has failed. The plastic on this shed is bomb proof and has not lost any colour due to UV .

• 1 month later...

mines about 71/2 years old and still going strong

mine is a slide off and suspends between the gable end and another shed and clamped down when open and its breezy as next door do not like my roof in their garden :eek::icon_redface: :icon_redface:

• 2 years later...

Not trying to revive an old thread but i wonder how the Ops shed is holding up? I can see that he hasn't logged on for nearly 10 months now.

This thread really got me interested because i am planning on moving houses in the near future but this take the scope out every time and then packing it away business is very tiresome. 

I do wonder how would you keep the moisture away when the shed base sits on the concrete floor and also how did he manage to cut hole in the shed base for his pier.

10 minutes ago, Ibbo! said:

Have had mine 10 years now and still going strong.

Mine is a lift off roof.

Cheers Steve. 

I'm sure these are well built to last a long time, my only concern is around the moisture rising from the floor and how would one handle that situation.

I know @Davey-T has got the same one and i started to consider this type of shed because of him showing me his obsy but this thread certainly takes the cake because of the minimal footprint that it has when the roof slides to one way.

I must admit, i never really understood most of the jargon's that you DIY gurus use but this i could follow very easily. 

Yep easy as it light, I then clamp it down on the "gable end"of the plastic pig and another wooden shed.

I would say it needs reclamping when open , as I did have to ask the next door neighbour if I could have my roof back please.

The wooden one I had at the last place the roof was on rails but it was a  heavy roof.

6 minutes ago, Ibbo! said:

Yep easy as it light, I then clamp it down on the "gable end"of the plastic pig and another wooden shed.

I would say it needs reclamping when open , as I did have to ask the next door neighbour if I could have my roof back please.

The wooden one I had at the last place the roof was on rails but it was a  heavy roof.

Do pardon my ignorance, i don't quite understand the "reclamping when open" but (as you can see, my knowledge in DIY skills is super super limited)

It has got an integrated floor, the roof clamps to the top and the floor clamps to the bottom.

Easy enough to lift the roof off and assembled by one person in a weekend it is then usable while you convert it to roll off at your leisure if you want to.

I fitted a couple of bars across the roof inside to assist lifting keeps it rigid and gives something to grab hold of.

I used mine with a tripod for a while and then cut a square out of the floor and sunk a pier in it.

Dave

Pic's of bolt easily undone / done up by hand same bolts into the floor.

Obsy-roof-clamp-1.png.2701b10a9ba346739372eda9b21cd876.png Obsy-roof-clamp-2.png.be177698ee15d3d568c9969b45a31d9e.png

• 4 weeks later...

Archived