Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Space has punished me for my hubris

SlyReaper

So long, I have moaned about clouds.  Beseeched the weather gods for clear skies.  Well, this week, they answered my prayers.  On two days when I had to spend the entire day standing in sun-scorched fields to observe equipment trials for work. 

I'm a ginger.

I'm sun-burned.

I had weeping sores on my forehead, which have still not healed, and the skin on my face is peeling.

I need to be careful what I wish for.

As long as your eyelids still function I advise you put some cream on and get out there.

Your radiation burns may even be an excuse for some time off sick so you can stay out later, and

(Shopenheuer I think) said that Life without Pain has no meaning.

Its not much of a silver lining but it's more of one than the clouds that are currently soaking me have in them.

Use your pain I say, let it push you to have revenge on the universe by Observing it in Optical wavelengths.

That'll show em !

Mick

President - Society of slavering astronomers against all kinds of weather (uk branch).

Thing is, I did use sunblock.  The sun-scorched field was in the midlands, and the thing is, "midlands" and "sunblock" are not two thoughts that sit closely together in my head, so I didn't pack any.  One of my colleagues had some, and I used that, but I didn't note what the factor was.  Probably factor 2 or something, given the state of my face, neck and scalp.  It was entirely ineffective, whatever it was. 

The point is, I prayed for clear skies, and the weather gods granted it.  The weather gods are a fickle and capricious bunch.

Visit Boots and get a face cream called Simply Sensitive.

They are not expensive and are occasionally 2 for 1.

It is a factor 15, agreed not high but useful, and leave it in the car, much easier to do if you get the 2 for 1 offer.

I have one in the car all the time it simply means if I go out with the binoculars and it is bright I splat some on.

As a ginger myself I can fully sympathise with you. This is also why I now stick to standing in fields in the dark instead of during the day. I think I may be part vampire given how easily I burn!

This just keeps growing!

I take up stargazing as a hobby and then have to learn about optics, upside down and left to right, apertures, focal lengths and focal ratios, magnification, seeing conditions, meteorology, cloud types, dew points, how to avoid breaking my neck with a finderscope, recommended insect repellent, counterweights, eye relief, field stops, costly purchases that can pauper a fella, and now, blow me down with a feather, cosmetics.

Well, as the young uns tell me, it gives me something to fill my day (cheeky whelps!).

Archived