Anyone have a Firewire astro camera and Linux (or maybe even OSX)?

JamesF

Looks like I'm reasonably close to a first usable cut of support for IIDC cameras in oacapture.  In my case that means I have a Firefly MV USB camera working, but the dc1394 library that I'm using supports Firewire cameras too (mostly, in fact).  Once I get the next release out it would be interesting to know if that means that oacapture will now work with Firewire cameras too.

James

HI James,

I have  a Point Grey Flea 2 B/W, Flea 3 colour and an Imaging source DMK21AF04 along with Mac OSX 10.9.2 and could probably get a VMware linux virtual partition if needed (but don't know Linux).  The Point Greys are FW800 and the IS is FW400.  Let me know if you need me to test anything....

all the best

Nick

I have an old Imaging source Firewire camera in the back of a cupboard somewhere...  I have a FW card that should work with my Linux laptop but I am not sure if my Macbook Pro has a FW port.  I can try and dig it all out and try sometime.

Cheers,

Chris

I have  a Point Grey Flea 2 B/W, Flea 3 colour and an Imaging source DMK21AF04 along with Mac OSX 10.9.2 and could probably get a VMware linux virtual partition if needed (but don't know Linux).  The Point Greys are FW800 and the IS is FW400.  Let me know if you need me to test anything....

Being able to test on just OSX would be more than helpful.  I'm moderately confident that if it works on OSX it should work on Linux without too much pain.  I didn't realise the Point Grey cameras are FW800 though.  I'll have to see if it is possible to tell what speeds are possible and set the appropriate one, along with setting the correct protocol (FW400 requires IEEE1394, whereas FW800 requires IEEE1394B, I believe).

James

I have an old Imaging source Firewire camera in the back of a cupboard somewhere...  I have a FW card that should work with my Linux laptop but I am not sure if my Macbook Pro has a FW port.  I can try and dig it all out and try sometime.

I think Apple have abandoned Firewire for Thunderbolt with the newer range of machines, Chris.  How does the Firewire card connect to the laptop, out of interest?  Some time back I was considering going down the Firewire route instead of USB (partly because I have an FW video camera sitting about somewhere), but at the time I wasn't able to find a suitable way of providing an interface on a laptop that didn't already have one.

James

Archived