Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dobsonian magnetic weights

Having started the modding of my SW dob i have made it very nose heavy. I've looked around the web and i don't know which kind to go for. Has anyone got a good link and a good size to go for?

Cheers for any help.

Is adding more weight a good idea?

It sounds that you have added too much weight by making changes and now to "rectify" this you are going to add more weight again. Shouldn't you be looking at removing weight added in by the modifications performed?

The weight i have added is pretty essential stuff. Light shroud, dew shield telrad and 2" EP. I thiught it was accepted practice to add counterweights at the tail end to readress the imbalance.

I use one of these to attach a kilo weight to the end of my sct as with the focuser upgrade and filter wheel and camera could not balance I have used a 10kg weight with this as well holds it with no probs .becarefull they are very powerful and are not toy magnets

Pat

post-9980-0-43303500-1402511262_thumb.jp

Which dob is it Gasmac? It shouldn't be a problem if it's a manual dob so long as you can balance it up. However with SW goto dobs you need to watch the weight cos of the extra strain on motors. The mods you made so far don't sound unreasonable at all though. :)

I use a magnetic knife rack (e.bay - £3 approx) attached to the lower tube with heavy sticky pads then 1 lb and 2 lb kitchen scale weights used and positioned as needed. My dob has an Orion Optics optical tube which are aluminum so non magnetic.

Lightweight eyepieces such as orthoscopics need no counterweighting but the heavier wide and ultra wides need some especially when the scope is pointing at lower altitudes. I can pop the weights on and off my knife rack really easily.

My dob is pretty nose heavy even without an eyepiece in the focuser. Might have something to do with the SW 9x50 RACI + Telrad + Lacerta 1:10 micro focuser mod though. My solution to the problem? A piece of cloth, a couple of 1kg barbell/dumbbell weights, some strong magnets and glue. Crude and simple solution, but hey, it works really well actually!

With my 1.25" EP's (X-Cel LX's) I only need one counterweight and with my 2" (ES 82° 30mm) I need two. The piece of cloth is there to protect the OTA from getting scratched, plus as a bonus, makes it easy to slide the weight(s) up and down to trim the balance further if needed.

post-22147-0-63511500-1402578205_thumb.j

post-22147-0-63889500-1402578212_thumb.j

post-22147-0-76185500-1402578224_thumb.j

I am same as Spaceboy and Mem and bought a roof magnet. I extended the screw and it now has 3 weights attached. I move the magnet up and down the bottom of the tube to get the correct balance. My 10" can be top heavy with a 80mm Finder and large Ethos EPs (21mm being the largest).

The system works very well although my Dob is solely manual.

Good thing photons have no electric charge ;)

I also thought about adding some magnetic counterweight into the mix, especially when the DSLR is connected in low angles.. I don't like tightening the tension handles sooo much.

I've seen some felted magnets which seem pretty nice, but sadly they don't ship internationally.

When I had a 12" flextube, I replaced the stock focuser with a moonlite CR1, very nice single speed and light weight. I removed the finderscope + bracket / shoe and replaced with telrad and riser base. Many of my ep's are light weight to, so balance with the tensioner's was acceptable. However whenever I added a dew shield, this seemed to upset the balance, therefore only put the dew shield on if really necessary.

I use an adjustable utility belt bought from Amazon and some 500g gym flat weights. The belt clips snugly round the tube and I just add and remove weights to the pockets as needed. No worries about scratching the tube. Whole lot cost £12.

post-28556-0-74832600-1402586818_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Archived