Anyone recognise this scope?

I was informed when I collected it that it was one of Peter Drews but after contacting him, that appears not to be the case.

Throwing it open to the forum, perhaps it may be a unique self build project.

150mm F8 according to my tape measure

Mirrors in dire need of a re-coat as its been left in a loft for years.

post-13264-0-55224000-1402404750_thumb.j

post-13264-0-23612000-1402404760_thumb.j

post-13264-0-47698600-1402404764_thumb.j

Looks like a hombuilt scope with a homage to Ae optics luton ,although ae scopes had nicer cast rings and were pure skeleton tubes ,not baffled like this one . 

The secondary mirror  mounting looks like an ae design though .

Still a nice looking scope .

Thought I would give the primary a clean

Interesting primary adjusting technique

post-13264-0-03135200-1403040155_thumb.j

Primary after cleaning, need to first light it as is to see if its worth a re-coat

post-13264-0-54990700-1403040161_thumb.j

I can't see this being a home build, more like a kit scope, the hexagonal castings including the primary cell are spot on.

I can't see this being a home build, more like a kit scope, the hexagonal castings including the primary cell are spot on.

It's certainly an interesting design.

Back in the 1970's and 80's a number of commercial scope manufacturers were basically home builders who took orders.

Ye Gods! The mirror clips look big enough to anchor a ship!

Are you looking at this as a restoration project, or a bring it up to date project? I only ask because long FR Newts are thin on the ground these days (apparently short FRs are the rage, despite all the issues) and you have the basis for a real Newt Planet Killer, with real originality built in. Being 6", nothing is THAT expensive either.

Russell

Ye Gods! The mirror clips look big enough to anchor a ship!

Are you looking at this as a restoration project, or a bring it up to date project?

The clips are billet aluminium and were done up that tight that I could not move the primary, hopefully any issues caused by overtightning will now cease as I have loosened it off.

First light last night showed that the primary is in fact very good and resolved Mars right to the edge even though it was out of collimation.

I would like to bring it up to date, with a homage to the original design and I'm currently seeking a secondary spider on here. Decided to keep the primary cell as its just ace.

As I have an Orion VX6L (13th wave) I just see this scope as something I can use with my Scout group or at outreach events for CLASS (Central Lancashire Anateur Stargazing Society)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Couple of work in progress shots, now putting it back together.

Just need to order a 3 vane curved spider from the US which will remove the diffraction spikes (which I don't like for visual use)

The Baader 1.25" helical focuser is a real peach, especially for these older scopes with no slo-mo focusers.

post-13264-0-33447900-1406465697_thumb.j

post-13264-0-40371400-1406465703_thumb.j

Theres alot of Charles Frank skeleton tube newt about it.

I reckon someone has mofified either an AE or CF skeleton with a bit of rolled galvanised air con tubing then fitted a vixen/Oo focuser and bespoke finder to it.The primary collimation looks homebrew to me, simple but effective I should imagine.

Its looking nice now though, a hilux coating is worth it. I did an early OO 8" f6 awhile back and it made a superb scope

Latest update, thanks to Wes B who scanned me a section of his AE (Luton) brochure which features this scope.

Looks like a previous owner fitted the inner alumimium tube and replaced the focuser and finder with Vixen items.

Curious to see that the secondary mirror holder was kept as original though.

post-13264-0-53435400-1406665162_thumb.p

post-13264-0-08843300-1406665175_thumb.p

Archived