SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Clear Outside Weather Forecasts for Astronomers

Yes :) - hopefully for both Android and IOS.

For now, the site is responsive and will adapt to varying screen sizes so it should at least be usable on all devices but, the level of data shown will be reduced on small screens so that it's still readable.

Grant, In some cases it is trying to be too helpful  ;) I have a large smart phone (Note 3), and it only displays every 4th hour, even though there is space for far more information. Also, for some reason the expansion of a day to show more data is not working on the phone. On the tablet and the laptop it is all working fine.

Screenshot 2014 06 09 14 13 52

Edited by frugal

Grant, In some cases it is trying to be too helpful  ;) I have a large smart phone (Note 3), and it only displays every 4th hour, even though there is space for far more information. Also, for some reason the expansion of a day to show more data is not working on the phone. On the tablet and the laptop it is all working fine.

The site adapts to the maximum screen width - for some reason on your device, it is responding as if the screen width is lower than 768 pixels wide and thus only giving a limited view of the data (including the extra information). Can you try it in landscape mode?

The screen width data comes from the device itself, so I'm not sure in this specific models case why it reports a lower width than it can actually handle, it may be the browser you are using or something else. The best thing might be to email us a few more details directly.

If anybody else finds any quirks then please email them to us directly: bugs@clearoutside.com - I can then follow up with you directly and request further info etc.. if needed.

Thanks,

Grant

Looks great, thanks (and its very mobile friendly so I won't miss an app). I did wonder if it would be useful to include some info on the jet stream forecast. Also, I'd be interested in knowing how much agreement there was between the different sources (without knowing quite what you're using). I would imagine it is a balancing act between info and clarity. I might be biased though as I have a background in Meteorology.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Very informative site with very clear info. Bookmarked.

Look forward to seeing it's development.

Only suggestion I have is maybe something around the jetstream data as this affects seeing doesn't it?

Andrew

It's a very nice idea and easy to read. I wish you every success with it. If well known sources are being used for the data then the accuracy will be the same as those sources I imagine. There is a nice website I refer to for potential seeing conditions at various pressure altitudes that I'm sure you are aware of. That's the only site I've found that has been reliable so far. Related to unreliable conditions, I persuaded the other half today that an obsy is required.

This is a great facility for astronomers so congrats to all those involved at FLO. It was great to have a demo from Steve yesterday at the IAS. I have bookmarked the site and it will save me looking at various sites to know whether to set up the scope.

A 'set home location' button would be handy.

For phase one, we didn't want to require people to register or anything like that so there isn't a way for us to remember this for you currently but, it's been built so that the URL changes when you request a forecast, if you bookmark that unique URL it will take you straight to the forecast for the location you chose :)

• Like 5