Narrowband

** Sixpenny Handley Star Party III - 2014 **

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark - it's a real shame that I can't make it this year, because I have an SA100 grating I could have brought along. I have used it off and on for a few months, trying to work out the best combination of scope and camera, and in the last week I have had it in the Equinox 80ED with the Atik 314L. Discovered two nights ago that it will not penetrate cloud, even though Met Office and FLO's tool both said it was clear sky - must look up from the computer screen sometime! Results (in clear sky) are pretty good, although it takes a bit to get the hang of it. There are several bits of software for using it - I splurged and bought RSpec. That program can take images from various sources. I have used avi from a DMK camera, but this week I have started to stack fits images using the non-stellar alignment in Nebulosity, which seems to work well. Ken Harrisons's book "Grating Spectroscopes and How to Use Them" is invaluable.  My only problem is that a couple of members at the Norman Lockyer Obsy here have bought Alpy 600 modules, so their results just make me envious, but I'm resisting the temptation (so far).

Hope the star party goes well,

Allan

I stayed at Sixpenny Handley camp site (only had bino's with me) at the begining of September and had a couple of clear nights.  Views of the Milky Way were very good once the Moon had set.  Hope the weather holds out for the lucky few who are going?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kev,

Didn't pack the bbq I'm afraid, not enough room. Look forward to seeing you .

Weather report for everyone else, rough night last night with very strong gusts and heavy rain. One broken tent pole and a scope went over (didn't do any damage though). Rest of week is a mixed bag, sunshine and showers with occasional strong winds, one or two decent nights though. Weekend forecast is looking a bit more stable.

See you soon.....

We have decided that the weather looks too dodgy to be under canvas, and the lodger is away for the week so as Amanda has the week off we may well just enjoy having the house to ourselves. We will probably pop over to say hello and go for a walk up to the old hill fort later in the week though.

Well I'm all packed and ready to make the journey but it is absolutely pouring down here and thunder with strong winds. So I am in two minds wether to make the journey or not. What's the weather doing in Sixpenny today?.

Hi All,

Weather update. Today has been a bit naff. Very strong gusts and the occasional long hard downpour, not nice. However.... this should be the worst over with, forcast (from several sources) shows tonight being clear with little to no wind right through until early morning. Some intermittent rain due tomorrow, with a small chance of good skies over night. Saturday looking good too for the evening, again sporadic rain during the day. Main news is that the wind (and rain) will be significantly less than what we have already had. No more 40mph gusts. So wekkend is promising to be 'ok'. No chance of a tan though.

M....

Sorry I bailed early, I've just got myself too tired lately. I'm glad I came down for the one night though, twas good to chill a bit and catch up with you guys :o)

I hope you had a good night last night. From the fog this morning I guess it will have been a damp one!

Safe journeys.

It all feels a bit  too brief just doing the Friday and Saturday night but still good to have a weekend out. Friday clouded but Saturday night started well with the Milky Way on view before the Moon rose and I went on to do a bit of visual. The faintest thing I managed to see was the `Fireworks Galaxy` which is very near to NGC6939. I got the web cam onto Uranus but before I could begin to increase the focal ratio it slowly began to cloud over so I called it a night. 

Mark, sorry I didn`t get to say goodbye, I wasn`t sure if you had gone back to sleep or not.

Thanks to everyone who did brave the elements to come.

It will be on again next year but I'm moving it to september (early) for an improved chance of better weather. So watch this space for dates (i'll try to publish them earlier too so you can all plan ahead).

See you all soon....

• 7 months later...

Hi Mark,

Any word on the Sixpenny Handley annual bash for really cool people this year? CJ and I would love to meet up with all you guys again at our favourite field on Salisbury Plain - are we still looking at September?

Toodles!

Kes & CJ

Devon

Archived