Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The sky at night

andrew65

I'm not sure The Sky at Night will ever be what people want it to be. I watched it back in the days of black and white. Patrick could certainly achieve a high baud rate. But in those days there was no alternate source of data.

I don't recall seeing any mags. There was no internet and few good books in libraries.

It's so different today. When I got into astronomy a few years back I did buy the mag, Now I don't. I get the information I need off the internet. It's all there. Sure it covers the latest theories or missions but that is not what interests me.

I'm not interested in theories about those little spots out there. I just want to take pictures.

cheers

gaj

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im just iPlayering it (made up word) now.
Quite enjoyed it.

I was I little perturbed at the trendy opening with the presenters talking before the intro music.

Annoying as it can be, I'm more worried that they'll eventually do away with the theme tune.
I'm not going to get all wet eyed over SPM's legacy but At The Castle Gate, for me, must be left well alone.
It's the old boy saying Gone but Not Forgoten :)

Sent from my ZT ICS using Tapatalk

Have to say I don't get all the fuss about Maggie. Patrick Moore had a unique presenting style and could, at times, be a bit tricky to understand in his later years. Much as I miss him (and I do), I have to say I like the new format with Maggie and Chris - 2 presenters with in-depth knowledge and an enthusiasm for their subject matter that shines thru and shoud be applauded, not derided. Long may S@N continue to bring us keen amatuers info on what to see, where to look for it and updates on the latest research.

Maggie...Maggie...Maggie....Go...Go....Go......i think she is great for s@n very enthusiastic... or would you have some boring old fella hosting the programe at least she breathes life into s@n

Maggie...Maggie...Maggie....Go...Go....Go......i think she is great for s@n very enthusiastic... or would you have some boring old fart hosting the programe at least she breathes life into s@n

Maybe there is somebody between these extremes?

Why would somebody who is not Maggie automatically be boring and/or old?

They was a little premature with the asteroid zoo bit still weeks before they release it to the public,

Pat

I went straight on to the site after watching it and was disappointed. Probably wont be live until the next episode.

Any one seen "Not the Sky at Night" webcast? Is it still going?

I went straight on to the site after watching it and was disappointed. Probably wont be live until the next episode.

Any one seen "Not the Sky at Night" webcast? Is it still going?

I watched the first couple and thought it was great but I haven't seen any recent ones.

Greetings

Maggie is a scientist and as such is very adept in her field of study however qualified and knowledgeable she may be she is not a good spokesperson to present a TV program of any type because her speech is very choppy and excitable to be widely accepted. I for one complained to the BBC on the announcement of her role in the new S@N show because it became very frustrating to listen to the babbling choppy speech coming from her, she may be a clever scientist but she aint no tv presenter.

It may be worth visiting http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/ to voice your opinions otherwise many would be astronomers may pass by a hobby full of adventures.

I am not Maggie bashing but it's not comfortable for me to listen to her and it seems for many others, a presenter on TV should be easy to listen to she is not!

Andy

Greetings

his delivery to the show was smooth but sometimes broken however he never seemed ready to orgasm an the end of a sentence , the machinegun speed that Maggie can reach is very off-putting, it may seem I'm having a go at her but at the end of the day she is a scientist not a TV presenter which is disturbing to more than just me, I will not be following S@N  next season if she still holds this position, as a guest presenter perhaps when something special happens like the James Webb Telescope that she was involved in but not as a regular.

If it was just me that had a problem I would let it pass but it seems I'm not alone

Andy

Archived