Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M101 with EdgeHD 11 and iOptron CEM60-EC

x6gas

This is second light with my new mount.  I'm mostly impressed with it - the DEC guiding is awesome, but I'm finding that the RA guiding is not quite there at the moment.

Anyway, this is a short run on M101.  I did capture some RGB and Ha subs as well, but only a few and so I'm posting this in good old black and for now until I can capture some more data.  As it is, this is only 7 x 300s subs so I've had to apply more aggressive noise reduction than I would normally.  Still, happy with the result for only an hour and ten minutes worth of data...

Scope: EdgeHD 1100 with Celestron x0.7 reducer

Mount: iOptron CEM60-EC

Camera: Atik 460ex

Guiding: Atik OAG, IMG0H, PHD2

post-11821-0-24961600-1402254938_thumb.p

Thanks for looking, Ian

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all for the comments - much appreciated.

I hadn't spotted the gradient when I posted so hopefully I've addressed that and also taken the background up a tad as it was too dark on my other monitor...

post-11821-0-50484600-1402342313_thumb.p

Looking good Ian, glad that the new mount is coming together nicely - with a few more decent nights to optimize a tad further you'll soon have it perfectly set-up.

Martin

This looks really sharp and smooth Ian for such little data right into the core, congrats on you're new mount, i'm sure you will soon have it ticking over like a rolex!

Thanks Martin and Martyn.  I'm liking the new mount and it is an appreciable step up from my CGEM DX, but time will tell whether I'd have been better off with the Avalon LineAR which was the other option.  iOptron are still working on firmware and if I can get the RA guiding as good as the DEC I'll be very happy - but I think this is more to with work iOptron need to do rather than my set-up / settings... but then it is a very new mount....

That's looking really good indeed Ian. I'm looking forward to seeing this in colour!

Oh me to Sara!  The weather is so sucky.  I'd usually like to get a 6+ hours on a target like this but cloud, cloud, cloud.  Then some rain!

Lovely and sharp with some great normally lost outer lanes/stars erc. Nicely done :smiley:

Thanks - much appreciated.  The focal length is a bit much for this target, but I kind of like it...  Plenty of lovely galaxies to go for at this time of year if you can get a clear night without too much of a moon... and I find them pretty easy to process if you have decent data...

The focal length is excellent but you need a bigger chip!  :evil:

This is really impressive, isn't it. Lots of detail right into the core and that we don't often see.

To be this close at very long focal lengths pretty early on in the life of the rig is good going. Well done indeed.

Olly

The focal length is excellent but you need a bigger chip!  :evil:

This is really impressive, isn't it. Lots of detail right into the core and that we don't often see.

To be this close at very long focal lengths pretty early on in the life of the rig is good going. Well done indeed.

Olly

Ha!

Yes Olly - I know what you mean.  A bit too much focal length for this target to be honest... but I'll probably go for a different scope rather than a bigger chip (I hardly ever use my 'intermediate' scope - a 10" newt...)

I do hope that the slight issues with RA tracking can be addressed.  If so, I'll be very happy.  If not, I'll be regretting not getting an Avalon LineAR and because I intend to give a warts and all appraisal of the CEM60 my mount might not be worth a lot second hand!  So I hope it works out!

Nice details Ian,

Is your mount better than CGEM DX?

Mark

It most certainly is Mark - but then it is a fair bit more expensive.  I see the Avalon LineAR as the competition to beat at this price point.  So far I have struggled just a bit with RA guiding but last night I was testing new firmware and the results look really promising - unfortunately cloud rolled in before I could give it a thorough run through...

I am only doing guided runs at present but this version has a high resolution encoder so it will be possible to do unguided imaging at shorter focal lengths (not that that appeals to me that much...)

Thanks again everyone.

I can't wait to see the colour version too!  I do have some RGB subs but I'm yet to process them (captured with a fairly bright moon and again not to much data so I'll have to see if I can drag something worthwhile out...

This really has the making of one of the best M101,s I have ever seen.Even with such short subs on the RGB the colour looks spot on.

With a deeper set of RGB+h-Alpha,this image will take off.

A credit to you Ian.

Mick.

That's a cracking image and good to see ioptron getting the firmware sorted.

I have just ordered the basic version, which is due for delivery tomorrow, so will be interesting to see how this performs (got to be a step up from my old HEQ5).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again for all the nice comments.  I am happy with this image given the limited data...

That's a cracking image and good to see ioptron getting the firmware sorted.

I have just ordered the basic version, which is due for delivery tomorrow, so will be interesting to see how this performs (got to be a step up from my old HEQ5).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooooh, well done and I hope you enjoy the mount.  I am just writing up a proper review of my experience with the mount thus far: precis is that there are a couple of points that could be improved, but overall I believe that this is a very good mount.  Candidly for me I see this price point as a shoot out between the CEM60 and the Avalon LineAR, but I have been very impressed with the CEM60 and with iOptron thus far.  The latest firmware upgrade is giving me great guiding on both axis at ~2m focal length.

If I was buying on looks I'd have gone for the Avalon, but the iOptron has some great features.  I believe Olly Penrice has an Avalon in-coming so I need to persuade my wife that we need a holiday in Les Granges so that I can see both mounts side-by-side!

Cheers, Ian

Archived